Is it recommended to use TOTALDISCS and TOTALTRACKS?

So basically I have a library with FLAC, MP3, MP4. I want to be consistent in the way I tag my metadata. The ID3 standard says to use DISCNUMBER as "disc#/totaldiscs" and TRACK as "track#/totaltracks"

I noticed for MP4 doing it this way will automatically remap to TOTALDISCS and TOTALTRACKS. So aside from MP4 which does its own thing, do you guys use TOTALDISCS and TOTALTRACKS for all kinds or only DISCNUMBER and TRACK per the standard?

I use disc#/totaldiscs and track#/totaltracks.

I started doing that, before moving to the other side of the globe, when ripping my LP/CD collection and I kept doing it ever since.

I even used it for Singles (one hit wonders for example) so it came out 1/2 (for the A Side Track) and 1/2 (for the Disc).

I would suggest that you use the one your player supports. It's nice to follow a standard, but if your player (hard- and software) doesn't use it, its just a waste of time.

I don't care so much what my present player supports. I think that these informations are useful to me anyhow, whether I see them in MP3Tag or any other mediainfo-software.
And it is possible that one of my future player will support them.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with having complete info tags, regardless of the player you use now.

3 Likes