Is there a setting that creates folders after files have been tagged?

Hi,

I have just started using MP3Tag and am still finding my way around it. I was wodnering if MP3TAG has a setting or a feature that allows for the creation of folders when files have been tagged.

What I am looking for is the following -

If I am tagging an album, I want MP3TAG to move the files into a folder which is the artist's name and then a subfolder which is the name of the album.

So for example, if I have files to tag by Deco Child from the Skinless, I want to MP3TAG to tag the files when I click save, but then move them to a folder called Deco Child and within that folder a subfolder for the album i.e. Skinless

Edit: The complete structure should look like this:

Artist
__Album
____Tracks

and the tracks should be renamed like this:
[track number] - [artist] - [title]

Many thanks

See the FAQs: /t/8016/1

Thank you for the reply and the reference. I had a look at it, but as someone who doesn't know anything about these things, I was unable to create an action that gives me the result I need.

What should the QUELLTEXT be? I have tried various options, but the closest I get is:

Directory
_Sunfolder
__A
___Artist [e.g. Deco Child]

No subfolder for album and the file tags aren't correct either. They appear as:

[tracknumber].[artis&ttitle]

Apologies, I really need a dummies guide to do. I am completely unfamiliar with these things.

Edit: Also, when renaming the file, the zeros are lost for track numbers. So instead of being 01, 02, 03 etc., it is 1., 2., 3. etc.

You do not need an action - use the function Convert>Tag-Filename
... provided that you have already filled the tag fields in the files. If that is not the case, do it first.

then for the function Convert>Tag-Filename enter as format string:

e:\music\%artist%\%album%\%track% - %artist% - %title%

this is an absolute path. Please replace the part with "e:\music" with the actual settings in your system but include the drive letter and the path to the music root directory.

If you want to get a prettier filename with e.g. padding with zeros, then use
e:\music\%artist%\%album%$num(%track%,2) - %artist% - %title%

The convert functions have a preview.

If you want to use the filename and folders as some kind of data backup, then do not use the "-" as separator as this is often used in everyday language and then does not separate the pieces of data properly. Use "_" instead as hardyl any artist, album or title features the underscore.

Thank you so much, this has done the trick. I appreciate it very much. The only problem I face now, is dealing with tagging compilation albums/various artists. I just did a group and each track was placed in a separate folder for each artist followed by the compilation name.

Directory
_Artist
__Compilation Title
___Track

For compilations I would like:

Directory
_Compilation Title
__Track

I will play around and see what I can do, but if you know it off-hand, I would appreciate it very much.

Edit: As regards compilations, I have managed to do the following:
E:\%album%\%track%-%title%

It is almost what I am looking for, but no zeros as part of the track number.

You can easily adapt the convert format string to:
e:\music\%album%$num(%track%,2) - %artist% - %title%

Now: it could well be that even for normal album you have different artists like "Peter Gabriel" and "Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush" - so it may now come the time to fill the field "ALBUMARTIST" as well and use that for normal albums instead of the field ARTIST.
So the format string for normal albums becomes:
e:\music\%albumartist%\%album%$num(%track%,2) - %artist% - %title%

Also, I would contemplate to get an individual folder for the compilations and use the naming scheme there.
So perhaps:
e:\music\compilations\%album%$num(%track%,2) - %artist% - %title%

Thank you so much, that is exactly what I needed. It tags exactly the way I want it to tag. I appreciate your help very much.