Is there a way to tag Wav files without RIFF

Hi, I'm new here. I've used MP3Tag for years, it's great software, and I have never run into any trouble.

But now I have.

I bought a Pono, (go ahead, laugh all you want. Neil Young was very persuasive) so I could listen to FLAC and WAV on the go. The only problem is that the Pono didn't sell like gangbusters, so Mr. Young pulled the plug on the entire thing, including not-renewing his deal with JRiver for the Pono software. A half baked replacement was pushed out, but it crashes at a hard look and has been in beta for years. So now I use MP3Tag to tag files before I put them on my Pono. For FLAC, it works great, but for WAV it doesn't work. When I compare the tags of WAVs that were already put onto my Pono using the original JRiver powered software to WAVs that won't display their tags on the Pono even after being tagged by MP3Tag the big difference is the encoder, I think. The WAVs that display properly on the Pono have "ID3v2.3 (ID3v2.3)" listed under the "Tag" heading, while the WAVs that don't display correctly say "ID3v2.3 (RIFF ID3v2.3)"

TL;DR Is there a way to tag WAV files so they list "ID3v2.3 (ID3v2.3)" under their tag instead of "ID3v2.3 (RIFF ID3v2.3)"?

Thank you to whoever reads this, and a double thank you to anyone who offers help or advice.

Hi and welcome :slight_smile:

There is currently no setting in Mp3tag that steers the type of tag that's written to WAV files. It always writes RIFF INFO and ID3 chunks.

To make sure that your observation is correct, I've created two sample WAV files, one with both versions of the tag and one with only an ID3 tag. Can you try those files with the device?

wav.zip (838.7 KB)

Sorry for the delay, and thank you for the reply.

You were right to want to test my theory, because it looks like I was wrong. To add music to the Pono you go into the "Music" folder using My Computer, you make a folder named after the Artist, and then within that Artist folder you make a folder named for the particular Album. So I made a "Florian" Artist folder inside my Pono's Music folder, and I made a "Test" album folder inside my "Florian" folder.

First I tried adding both songs to the Pono and found that it was not able to read anything about the songs. The Title of each wav was just the file name, not the tagged title.
The Album was correctly labeled "Test", but that could be because I put the Wavs in the "Test" folder.
The Artist was "Unknown Artist".
The Album Artist was blank.
The Track Number was 0
The Composer was blank
The Genre was Metal.

Then I deleted the 2 Wavs and tried putting just the Wav named "Tone-250Hz-ID3" onto my Pono.
I had all the same previously described tag problems.

Then I deleted that 1 Wav and tried putting just the file named "Tone-250Hz-INFO-ID3" onto my Pono.
Once again, I had all the same previously described tag problems.

Then I made a copy of the two Test files, renamed "Tone-250Hz-INFO-ID3" to "01 - Tone-250Hz-INFO-ID3" because all the other files on my Pono follow that same naming format, and I thought that might have something to do with the Pono's ability to successfully read the tags. I deleted the Wav that was on the Pono and put "01 - Tone-250Hz-INFO-ID3" onto it.
And again, I had all the same previously described tag problems.

I hope my testing and my descriptions of the results help you determine why the Pono won't read certain Wavs. Frankly I have no idea what the issue is now, but then again I don't know a lot about tagging.

To try and help you diagnose the problem I made a copy of a Wav whose tags are successfully read by the Pono. Hopefully you can examine this Wav and figure out what makes it readable by the Pono while your 2 test Wavs couldn't be read. But it's too big to upload here, how can I get it to you?

First of all, I'm a Pono user and, for the money in particular, it's a great digital player. So what if it doesn't stream mp3!!! Who needs that? So, good choice - the whole point of the Pono is hi-res.

Here is what works for tagging .wav files... Music Bee. Just be sure that when you change a tag that you tab to the next field and the new tag shows in a different colour and then save. My Pono recognizes tagged .wav files using that technique.

However, the Pono is very inconsistent with AIFF format and so far no one has found a way to fix it. So, I stopped downloading AIFF and went back to FLAC.

1 Like