Linking to external (NAS) drive

Hi,

Newbie and complete technophobe here.

My music is stored (as FLAC files) on an external NAS drive - a Vortexbox in case this is of any relevance. I seem unable to add files to mp3tag directly from the external drive - the program will only add files which are on my laptop (where the program is also).

So I have been copying files over from the NAS to my laptop, editing the tags and then copying the files back to the NAS. It works, but the copying increases the time to complete the process by a multiple.

Should the program be able to "see" the external NAS? If so, could anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

TIA,

JB

Did you already map an Drivename to external NAS? (X: for example?)

Open explorer, browse network, select a folder on NAS, click context menu "map network drive".

regards
Peter

Another way is to navigate with the explorer to the network folder, shift-rightclick on the foldername and select "Open command shell here". This assigns automatically a drive letter that can be used as long as the command shell window is open.

In respect to time-saving as observed by poster xdb:
I think it saves much more time to copy the files at the beginning of the editing to the local drive and after the end back again.
Background: For almost every modification step the file has to be loaded from the NAS and written back again. So this costs a lot of time as the NAS access is much slower than the internal HDD.

Thanks, Peter - will give this a try.

Regards,

JB

Hi ohrenkino,

Thanks and it seems you are right. I thought it would be much quicker to edit the file directly on the external drive but now I have been able to access the NAS via the program it is taking much longer than it did before :frowning:

So much for my bright idea - back to where I started!

Regards,

JB

I would map your NAS to a drive letter.

Then set up a backup routine to one of your internal drives from the NAS to update any latest modified files and vise versa. Meaning you have two identical copies on either drive at all times.

So on the editing machine with the internal drive you could modify the tags and save therefore kicking the backup program to take over and update the NAS copy automatically.

Cobian backup is a good free program for this propose. Always have a backup anyway and offsite one too in an ideal world.

This is providing you have mp3tag setup to modify the modified date.

Thanks, sh, that's probably a bit beyond me but let's see ....

I must be doing something embarrassingly basic wrong. Having figured out how to link to my files I started using the tool only to find that after I exported the files back to my NAS drive, and then reindexed the files using the GUI which my music system uses, I find that all the tracks on each album have taken the name of the album. (And display in upper case, for whatever that is worth.)

As I say, I must be making a basic mistake - can anyone diagnose it for me?

TIA,

John

Rather hard as it is not really clear what the NAS does.
So: check, which data is actually in the files. Is there any or does the NAS take the file system properties like folder name and filename?
Check, which tag versions you have used (e.g. APE and V2.4 may cause hickups)
Something like this. Don't know.

To the best of my knowledge the NAS (a Vortexbox) basically just rips tracks from the CD original and then stores the files which are streamed by a separate device. So I have edited the files with the Mp3 tool and after doing so when I play an album although it plays fine all the tracks have the same name as the album.

I've used v2.85 and the files are in FLAC format.

Still leaves this unanswered:

How does the NAS know the album name? What does the filename look like? Which data from the tags is shown ok?

Sorry, this must be me being technically dumb.

How does the NAS know the album name? I assume that when the tracks are ripped from the CD the data which is saved on the NAS includes album name, artist, track name and so on.

What does the filename look like? Simply the name of the album e.g. "Cara Dillon - Wanderer" - is this what you are asking?

Which data from the tags is shown OK? What I can see in the GUI is Album Name, Artist, Year Released and Length (time).

Thanks,

OK, let's get back to basics: you did something but the result is not as you expected.
You see data that you do not like.
What could to be tried to find out:
What are the properties of (one) file - this can be checked with MP3tag.
Which of these properties are shown by the NAS - this can be checked on the NAS.
Which data in in one particular field in the file and how does the NAS show it?
Where are the differences? (Does the NAS ignore only certain fields? Does it rely only on the filename? These things)
How can one coax the NAS to show the same data as the files provide? (Does the NAS have some kind of clean-up function for its data? Is there a database that needs updating? This should be revealed in the NAS documentation)

I like basics :smiley:

What are the properties of (one) file? If I open the file in Mp3tag all fields seem to be populated with the exception of Album Artist and Comments. So all seemingly OK.

Which of these properties are shown by the NAS? Not sure how I check this, however if I open the top-level (album) file it shows me all the individual tracks with the track name and file size. If I open (right-click) on one of the individual tracks it shows (under Details/Media) Contributing Artists, Album, Year, Date Released, Genre and Length

Where are the differences? (Does the NAS ignore only certain fields? Does it rely on the file name?) All I can say is that from what I can see the NAS reflects the detail I see when the file is open in Mp3tag. But I don't know how to see, on the NAS, certain detail such as Genre and others.

How can one coax the NAS to show the same data as the files provide? (Does the NAS have some kind of clean-up function for its data? Is there a database that needs updating? This should be revealed in the NAS documentation) Well, I have had this NAS for over 5 years and I have never used a clean-up function: I don't believe there is one. The database is static as far as I know - it only changes when I add new albums - so I don't believe an update is the answer. And the app which controls the streamer shows all the albums which I have not touched with Mp3tag as they should be - so I do not think the problem is with the indexing of the control app.

Sorry not to be more helpful with my answers. I very much appreciate your patience. Is there a way for me to send you some screenshots so that you can see what I see?

TIA,

JB

It would be interesting to find out what happens if you delete albums from the NAS (like move them to the local drive): does the NAS sw reflect that? When does it realize that something is missing?
The same applies to the import of new data, like when you rename files: when does the NAS realize that there is more to be shown?
If the NAS is nothing more than a file server, ok. But if it reads the tags and displays them in some sort, there has to be a database or something. Perhaps it is very clever and updates itself automatically, but even that would have some time lag which should be possible to detect. And changes then should have the reassuring effect that you see the correct data.

Screenshots: yes, there is an option.
Check the editing window and below it on the right side you have the functions to upload files and embed them in the text.

My only "insight" into the NAS is via Windows File Explorer. Here is what I see in Network/Vortexbox/Files/Music/Flac/Capercaillie - The Blood Is Strong (Capture 1). When I open up the file I see Capture 2. When I open the file I see Capture 3 (and more which I cannot easily screenshot).

When I look at the control app to play the album I see Capture 4 but for an album which I have not edited using Mp3tag I see Capture 5

To answer your other questions:

It would be interesting to find out what happens if you delete albums from the NAS (like move them to the local drive): does the NAS sw reflect that? When does it realize that something is missing? If I delete a file from the NAS it disappears from the screen immediately: if I rip a CD to the NAS it appears immediately. Just like any other delete or file/save exercise in Windows

The same applies to the import of new data, like when you rename files: when does the NAS realize that there is more to be shown?

As above, the NAS reflects the deletion/addition immediately.

If the NAS is nothing more than a file server, ok. But if it reads the tags and displays them in some sort, there has to be a database or something. Perhaps it is very clever and updates itself automatically, but even that would have some time lag which should be possible to detect. And changes then should have the reassuring effect that you see the correct data.

I think it is just a file server (plus ripper/tagger). I believe the Vortexbox/NAS uses Bliss to tag the files which it rips. It's over 5 years old now, maybe 7 now I come to think of it, so it is not very clever by today's standards.

Hope this helps ....

One of the first things that strikes me: although the folder is named "flac" it contains mp3 files.

The good thing I see ist that you apparently have filled the tags (this is what it looks like in the MP3tag shot).
The screenshots show folders and files. So one sees only filenames. Filenames are no tags.
You can modify the filenames in MP3tag with the function
Convert>Tag-Filename
and compose the filename from the tag data (which may include the genre).
BUT: as filenames have restrictions in respect to length and allowed characters, you will sometimes not get all the data from the tags into the filename.
So I would not take the filename as the master.
What I have not yet seen is the capitalized album name that you wrote about earlier. Does that appear in a different software?

What I have not yet seen is the capitalized album name that you wrote about earlier. Does that appear in a different software?

See Capture 4 above

Yes, you are right about the FLAC/mp3 point but I inadvertently chose a bad example - almost all of the files are FLAC but I do have some mp3s in there.