Loosing album tag


#1

I have used MP3tag to set the tags of a serie of flac file including artist, album, title,...
when I convert the flac files to mp3 files if using "Switch Sound File Converter" I obtain all tags except "album"
If I use dbPowerAMP or FLAC2MP3 I get "album" but loose "Artist" tag
in Tool-> Option -> tag -> Mapping I have
VorbisComment DATE YEAR
VorbisComment ORGANIZATION PUBLISHER
VorbisComment TRACKNUMBER TRACK
VorbisComment TPE1 ARTIST

in "Switch Sound File Converter" (My preferred one) if I omit the last line (TPE1 ARTIST" I also lose
"ARTIST" after conversion
Is there any solution to keep Artist and album when using the "Switch Sound File Converter" or
any of the other two converter
Thank you


#2

This is very odd. I rip to FLAC with dbpa and do tag editing with mp3tag after the fact. I just converted a FLAC file to mp3 (Lame) with dbpa and it keeps both ARTIST, ALBUM ARTIST, and ALBUM with no issues. I do notice that my mapping in mp3tag looks like the following (and doesn't include the "ARTIST" mapping you have in yours):

VorbisComment DATE YEAR
VorbisComment ORGANIZATION PUBLISHER
VorbisComment ALBUM ARTIST ALBUMARTIST
VorbisComment TRACKNUMBER TRACK

and in dpba there is NO mapping setup for either ARTIST or ALBUM field in the VorbisComment tags.


#3

Other informations: I did not rip those files, Got them from a torrents
Did another test and convert the flac file to mp3 using "Switch Sound File Converter" but without using MP#tag to fix the tag just accepting them as they are and got both album and artist in mp3 tag
I used "tag and rename" before and after the conversion just to check the status.
Something in MP3tag is causing my problems. Any way to fix that.
Thank a lot for your time and efforts


#4

mp3tag is working fine on my FLAC files (and mp3 files created from FLAC). And if this was a widespread problem there would be lots of posts on this issue. Yours is the first I've seen. So I don't think this is an mp3tag problem. More likely something related to these FLAC files you are obtaining "from the wild". Can you rip a CD to FLAC (so you have a known source, ripped with a known ripper), edit tags with mp3, and then test again.


#5

After another test I got the problem solved even if I do not understand the reasons.
I added another line to
VorbisComment DATE YEAR
VorbisComment ORGANIZATION PUBLISHER
VorbisComment TRACKNUMBER TRACK
VorbisComment TPE1 ARTIST
VorbisComment TALB ALBUM

Both tag album and artist were retained after conversion. If someone could explain I would
appreciate.
Thanks all of you


#6

That's not a good solution as your write the artist and album tags to non standard fields. It is very strange that it works.

It looks like that conversion software only reads tag fields that are upper case.
Please use this export code on your files and post the results to verify my observation.

$filename(%_workingdir% tag dump $replace(%_datetime%,:,.).txt,utf-8)$loop(%_path%)$repeat(=,70)

Filename: %_filename_ext%
     Tags: %_tag_read% '('%_tag%')'


$list( ,: ,$char(13)$char(10)$char(13)$char(10))

$loopend()

Select the files, press Ctrl+E
Click on the New button :mt_new: and paste the code from above. Save the text and then click OK to run the export.


#7
QUOTE (dano @ Jan 15 2013, 12:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's not a good solution as your write the artist and album tags to non standard fields. It is very strange that it works.

It looks like that conversion software only reads tag fields that are upper case.
Please use this export code on your files and post the results to verify my observation.

$filename(%_workingdir% tag dump $replace(%_datetime%,:,.).txt,utf-8)$loop(%_path%)$repeat(=,70)

Filename: %_filename_ext%
     Tags: %_tag_read% '('%_tag%')'


$list( ,: ,$char(13)$char(10)$char(13)$char(10))

$loopend()

Select the files, press Ctrl+E
Click on the New button :mt_new: and paste the code from above. Save the text and then click OK to run the export.

Please be patient. The result i'm getting after removing the two extra line that you say is not a good solution, i'm getting weird results. I will more testing to post proper information.
Thanks


#8

Just provide the export of one of the files where all tags are transferred. No need for more testing.


#9

Filename: Herbert von Karajan - DG Recordings - 091-01 - (1973 - Bach - Matthäus Passion - BWV244 - I - Kommt, ihr Töchter, helft mir klagen.flac

 Tags: FLAC (FLAC)

TITLE: Johann Sebastian Bach : Matthäus Passion, BWV244 I. Erster Teil Nr. 1 Chor 'Kommt, ihr Töchter, helft mir klagen' (Chorus I/II)

ARTIST: Herbert von Karajan

ALBUM: Complete Recordings on Deutsche Grammophon 1967-1969 CD091

GENRE:

COMMENT:

NOTES: Medieval CUE Splitter (www.medieval.it)

TRACK: 01

I will continue testing :slight_smile:


#10

Ok that means all tag fields are upper case.
If you use Mp3tag and make changes in the tag panel, the case of the fields that are editable with the tag panel will be changed.
Instead of ARTIST you will have Artist

You cannot see this in the Mp3tag UI but the export script shows the real case.

To change the case back to upper case use Actions > Actions (Quick) with these values:

Action Type: Case conversion
Field:_FIELDNAME
Case conversion: UPPER CASE


#11

Thank a zillion. Without you I would have never find.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile: