Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2023

Today, I’m writing to thank you for being part of the Mp3tag community!

I’ve very much enjoyed the countless interactions via email or here on the community forums with you and loved every minute of working on Mp3tag over the past year. It’s my hope you’ve enjoyed using it too :slight_smile:

Mp3tag for Windows

I’ve released a total of 5 major versions of Mp3tag for Windows in 2022 (not counting the maintenance releases and beta versions). When I look back and reflect on the various improvements that went into it over this year, one common pattern is that I’ve tackled lots of new features and improvements that were not so quickly realized and which often required weeks of work and multiple iterations with feedback from a small group of helpful people here at the Mp3tag Community.

My personal favorites are:

Revised Tag Sources Confirmation Dialog
I’ve completely (almost!) revised the confirmation dialog that shows the metadata result when importing via any of the Tag Sources (e.g., Discogs or MusicBrainz). Starting with v3.13 (released in March), it now allows for selecting which fields to import via checkboxes, also for the cover, and provides a better overview of track-specific and album-specific metadata.

Management of Filter Expressions and Format Strings
I’ve added an option to manage the list of filter expressions via the Manage history… item of the Filter Helper menu with v3.15 (released in May). This also allows for named filters, favorite filters for quick access, and the possibility to add descriptions for filters. Similar to the filter expressions, I’ve added an option to manage the list of format strings at converters Tag - Filename, Filename - Tag, Text file - Tag, and Tag - Tag via the Manage history… item of the Format String Helper menu. It also allows for named format strings, favorite format strings for quick access, and the possibility to add descriptions for format strings.

Custom List Values on Tag Panel
Since v3.18 (released in September), you can now configure custom list values per field on the Tag Panel. It allows, e.g., for defining a list of composer names to ensure consistent naming. Or a list of country names or languages if you’re storing those. It’s still possible to see the values of the selected files if you prefer that, but an empty field on the Tag Panel now always offers the custom values (if set) from the drop-down list.

Two other big projects were adding support for 64-bit and revising the [Mp3tag Documentation]. I’ve just counted: 2022 brought a total of 25+ new features, 40+ changes, and 65+ fixed issues.

Mp3tag for Mac

I’ve also continued my work on Mp3tag for Mac and released 17 major and incremental versions over the past year.

Here are my favorites:

Support for Custom Tag Sources
This was probably one of the most requested features and something I initially planned to not support for the Mac version. However, there are a lot of power-users out there who were missing support for, e.g., Beatport, Apple Music, or Bandcamp. And I’m also a user of Mp3tag myself :slight_smile: So with Mp3tag for Mac v1.6 (released in August), I’ve added support for Custom Tag Sources — backed by a gazillion of automated tests that ensure the parser and semantics match the Windows version.

Cover thumbnails for Tag Sources search results
Added with v1.5 in May, the list of search results when importing from Discogs or MusicBrainz now includes a cover thumbnail to make it easier to choose the correct release.

Importing via direct text input
Mp3tag always used an external text file when importing via converter Text file - Tag. With Mp3tag for Mac v1.5, I’ve added the option to also import via direct text input. It’s especially helpful for cases, where you would create a temporary file just for importing (e.g., a tracklisting that is copied from Wikipedia).

Scale Images to Square
This new feature (added with v1.4 in January) allows for scaling album covers to squares, which is particularly useful for covers that are only slightly off (e.g., 598x600px). Previously it was only possible to crop them to square, which always cut off some pixels of the original images. It was quite a challenge to create the UX for this feature — it now allows for manipulating cover art in a plentitude of different ways.

I’ve just counted: 2022 brought a total of 30+ new features, 20+ changes, and 20+ fixed issues.

HabitBoard

I’m following a set of intentional habits that benefit my well-being and to support this even further, I’ve developed HabitBoard as a side-project this year. It's a simple but flexible habit tracker for iOS and iPadOS (sorry, no Android version planned!). It was a whole new experience to develop a mobile app and I’m happy with its current state. If you know me, this is not finished and I have lots of ideas for 2023.
If you want to start your new year with intentional habits, I recommend the book Atomic Habits by James Clear and maybe accompany it with my app.

Your Support

I’m also very grateful for all of you who supported me and my project with a donation (or even multiple donations!) or by buying a license for Mp3tag for Mac. I’m now in year 7 after I went full Indie Developer and, given the global economic situation, it has been the most rollercoaster-esque so far.
It wouldn’t have been possible without your support. It's awesome that my work is valuable to many of you and it makes me happy to know that this is possible and you people exist!
Thank you wholeheartedly :orange_heart: Your support matters.

Our Community

A community of any kind is nothing without its people and I'm filled with gratitude and pride that you are part of it. Thanks a lot to the regulars on this forum (@ohrenkino, @LyricsLover, @MotleyG, @poster, @ryerman) and all the other members who are willing to share their knowledge and experience with other members. My hope is, that we can keep the spirits high and try to always give the benefit of the doubt. Often it’s enough to ask for clarification to create a better — or at least different — outcome, rather than relying on internal interpretation.

That’s it for this year! I’m wishing you a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a healthy and inspiring New Year 2023. :christmas_tree: :sparkles:

Thank you for reading, your interest, and your support.

See you next year! Until then, enjoy and take care
— Florian

8 Likes

@Florian It is your original idea and countless hours invested into it that has brought all of into this community. Without your mp3tag, and the efforts to make it better almost every day, none of us would be here to share and support you as best we can. So thank YOU for bringing mp3tag to us. And all the best to you for this holiday season. Stay happy, well, and safe as we head into 2023 and beyond!

1 Like

I’m wishing all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2023. :christmas_tree: :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

A very (though belated) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too! Your efforts are greatly appreciated. I have used Mp3Tag since close to the original release on Windows and have lurked in the forums for nearly that long. I can say that you are an exemplar of an engaged, sincere, and responsive developer. This community is one of the most consistently positive and helpful corners of the interwebs. I'm glad you have been able to be successful as an indie developer and I hope to continue to support you and enjoy this product for many years to come.

I switched to macOS about 10 years ago and I maintained a Windows VM since then with Mp3Tag as the primary purpose. When you released Mp3Tag for Mac it was a real delight for me, and it has continued to be so even more as it continues to expand toward feature parity. Keep up the great work in 2023! Looking forward to what comes next for all of us in Mp3Tag and life more broadly.

(especially since I have a LOT of tagging left to do. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

1 Like