Missing Tracks & Numbering

Hey folks I have been pulling my hair out over this one. Sadly, I have some albums that are missing a track or two. This really effects the numbering when I do the final action to format everything. So hopefully someone has a way that can get the highest track number, maybe compare it to total files, and if different to number the tracks accordingly.

For example ....

Track 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 on an album (missing track 4)

if counter <= max(track) then renumber tracks as 1/8, 2/8, 3/8, 5/5, 6/8, 7/7, 8/8

I wanted to do this in an action but I have not been able to get the logic working there and would appreciate any help and expertise your folks can offer.

That wouldn't work very well if you happened to be missing the last track on the album. In any case, I don't believe Mp3tag can do it, since Mp3tag works on and sees just on file at a time. You could do it with an external tool, but that tool would have to be able to both read and write tags.

Would it be too much work to manually add a TRACKTOTAL field, then run an action to combine the TRACKTOTAL and TRACKNUMBER fields? Create a field in the Tag Panel for TRACKTOTAL so that you can easily tag all of the files in an album at the same time.

Thanx JJ ... actually I hadn't even thought about the missing last track scenario. As for your suggestion I am already something similar ... was just hoping for a different way to accomplish the task. I appreciate your input though.