Modifying Tag from Tag (without using Filename)

Hello,

Love the program. It's incredibly powerful and there's so much I can do with it.

I have run into a problem though. I'm trying to modify the title of my MP3's utilizing the %ORIGALBUM% tag. Let me explain.

The %TITLE% of my MP3 looks like this.
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike Jungle Jazz OC ReMix

And the %ORIGALBUM% tag looks like this.
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike

I want to remove %ORIGALBUM% from %TITLE% so that it looks like this.
Jungle Jazz OC ReMix

Since there is no Tag - Tag conversion the only way I could figure out how to do this is to convert Tag - Filename, and then Filename - Tag. Unfortunately I'm afraid that many of my MP3's have invalid characters in their %TITLE% that I would like to preserve. Converting from tag to filename and then back to tag would lose those characters.

Is there anyway to do this without involving the FILENAME of the MP3? Please let me know if this isn't enough information to understand what it is I'm trying to do. Many thanks for your help in advance. :slight_smile:

On your example this works:

Name of action group: remove origalbum from title

Action type: Format value
Field: TITLE
Formatstring: $right(%title%,$sub($sub($len(%title%),$len(%origalbum%)),1))

Wow! That worked like a charm! Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

I hadn't tried out the "Format value" action until now. Looks like it was the option I needed all along. Although I doubt I would have been able to concoct that elaborate expression.

One last thing maybe you can help with. This one should be much easier.

After doing the above action, if I wanted to remove the phrase " OC ReMix" from the title as well, how would I do that? I thought of maybe just remove the last 9 characters (including the spaces) from the end of each title. But I could also remove it by telling it to look for that exact phrase, right?

I tried using this.

Action type: Format value
Field: TITLE
Formatstring: $replace(%title%, OC ReMix,)

And it worked for the one file I tried it on. However, I'm unsure if this will have unexpected results for other files? Each title ends with OC ReMix as far as I know. But what if the phrase "OC" or "remix" is elsehwere in the title? I don't want those removed if so.

Is it safe to use?

Oh! And thanks for your quick response! :astonished:

If the string doesn't found exactly " OC ReMix", he will do nothing.

Sa-weeeet!

Thank you for all your help! :slight_smile:

Hi again, I've got another question. :astonished:

In the event that my song has something filled into the %subtitle% field, I want to replace the %title% field with it. I made a very simple Format Value for this and it worked. Unfortunately, if the %subtitle% field was empty, then the %title% field became empty too.

I've hit a wall because I don't know how to do "if", "then" styled expressions. To sum it up, I only want the %title% field to be replaced by the %subtitle% field if the %subtitle% field has content in it. If it's empty, then I would like the expression to leave %title% alone.

Thank you.

Sonic,

I think this could do the trick

Format Value: Title
$iflonger(%SUBTITLE%,0,%SUBTITLE%,%TITLE%)

Explanation:
If the String "Subtitle" is longer then 0 Characters
then format %TITLE% with the Subtitle string. else leave it alone

Note:
It doesn't take into consideration if %SUBTITLE% contains for example spaces

Or you can try $if(%SUBTITLE%,%SUBTITLE%,%TITLE%)

... or this:
$if2(%SUBTITLE%,%TITLE%)

DD.20090907.1615.CEST

You guys did it again. These have worked perfectly for me!

I appreciate all the help. :slight_smile: