Modifying the Modified Timestamp

I have a huge library of FLAC and MP3 files and have started looking at adding a tag for Dynamic Range.
The easiest tool that I have found so far is a Foobar addin that calculates the Dynamic Range and saves it in a tag, but it also rewrites the Modified timestamp.
Like some others I depend on the Modified timestamp to indicate the acquisition sequence of music.

So, I wrote an MP3Tag Action to Format value "FILE_MOD_DT : %_file_mod_datetime% to save the original Modified Date and Time. This allows me to restore the Timestamp manually using BulkFileChanger.

Florian has stated categorically that MP3Tag will not custom modify the timestamps, don't ask. So reversing my action doesn't work in MP3Tag.

So, my question is does anyone know a way of mimicking an Action to read a user defined tag (FILE_MOD_DT) and write it to the Modified timestamp on FLAC or MP3 files.

1 Like

Apparently that what you want to do has to be done outside of MP3tag.
One way of getting tag data out of the tags would be a text export.
If your changing tool has a command line interface, you could export the data in the format of a batch file for command line calls.

Here's an alternative.

I had a similar problem and instead of messing with the modified date I made an Action that imports the DR values from foo_dr.txt

The files need to have TRACK and TITLE tagged before you start.

To produce compatible logs for this purpose, you probably need the plugin Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1 for foobar which I use.

Please note that there are now newer apps that calculate DR differently, but I stick with this plugin to have consistent/compatible DR values across my whole library.

If you're interested, put the .mta file in \Mp3tag\data\actions

Dynamic Range.zip (824 Bytes)

1 Like

Vilsen, brilliant - works perfectly, thank you.

Vilsen, my first post was after only one album, then I started getting "error" in the Replay Gain fields.
This was caused by the track tag being a bit sloppy, trailing blank, not nn - fixed with an Action -

TRACK to nn
Format value "TRACK" : $num(%track,2)
Regular expression "TRACK" : \s+$

Anything else you can think of that will catch me out ?

You mean in the DYNAMIC RANGE field?

Swiftly spotted by you, I must say! The "error" value apparently served its purpose... TRACK has to be in the 2-digit form, I've never used anything else so I forgot to mention it. If you don't want this safety measure it could be edited out.

The formatting of foo_dr.txt is critical, so you probably need to stick with Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1 (or edit the Action if you don't).

Thank you again, TRACK has to be in the 2-digit form without a trailing blank.

As a Squeezebox user since 2005 I have been collecting digital music for ages and while most tags are cleaned up I hadn't bothered with TRACK until now.

The Foobar Dynamic Range Meter seems frozen at 1.1.1 so there is no worry there.

My interest in Dynamic Range was rekindled by http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/01/internet-blind-test-is-high-harmonic.html

Just remember to trust your ears more than the dynamic range - digital measuring doesn't say it all. DR could guide you to some extent but should not be a decisive factor.

Just looking at the DR value of a track will probably get you biased as our brains makes us audiofools...

Wise words

I sometimes load a file to an audio editor to see its waveform- and see how flat [i.e. destroyed] it looks like. [But rarely I hear the flatness of music and yet the waveform look "normal"]

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.