MP3 tag rating frame

Can anyone point me to the spec by which mp3tag stores non-standard items like rating in MP3 files?

Thanks.

This information might be hidden somewhere on the forum pages.
Search the forum for 'rating'.
Search the forum for 'popularimeter'.

DD.20070318.1000

Search the forum for 'rating'.

Thanks, but no spec found.

Search the forum for 'popularimeter'.

Um, that's a different tag entirely.

Google found http://help.mp3tag.de/en/main_tags.html , which described itself as "an overview of all ID3v2 tag fields available with Mp3tag". But it is not. Rating is missing.

So, if some can direct me to any complete documentation of mp3tag's non-standard use of MP3 tags, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

I think MP3Tag writes 'Non-Standards' in the "TXXX" frame... or something. I'm no expert though, so this is really only a guess based on my own usage observations. If I AM wrong, don't shoot me? Lol.

Yes, all non-standard tags which are not included in the list mentioned above are written into a TXXX ID3v2 frame which is basically a key/value pair of strings.

Kind regards,
Florian

Well yes that /is/ the meaning 'non-standard' in ID3 tags! :wink:

But where's the list of mp3tag keys? And the placeholders mapped to them?

Mp3tag uses the key from the key/value pair.

So if you add a RATING field with the value 50, Mp3tag creates a TXXX frame containing RATING as key and 50 as value. You can access it by using the key name as placeholder, e.g. %rating%.

Hope that helps!

Kind regards,
Florian

I'm happy to make the list of frames myself, from peeking the mp3. What would help though is a list of mp3tag metadata placeholders. I can find none in the docs. Is such available?

if you add a RATING field with the value 50, Mp3tag creates a TXXX frame containing RATING

Suggestion: correct accordingly the "ID3v2 tag fields" table at http://help.mp3tag.de/en/main_tags.html .

You still seem to have a wrong idea of the whole thing.

http://help.mp3tag.de/en/main_tags.html
This is a list of all standard ID3v2 frames that are available in Mp3tag and by which name they can be accessed.
If you make a new field with a name that is not on this list, a TXXX frame is created with the field name as description. This is very similar to the concept of vorbis comments and offers a big number of non-standard / custom tags.

There's no point in making a list of this.
If I create the field PLAYLIST I get TXXX PLAYLIST
If I create MICKEY MOUSE I get TXXX MICKEY MOUSE in the file.

A list makes sence for the standard frames - and it is available.

I'm using %rating% because this forum advised me that was how to access the standard rating tag.

Now you seem to be saying it does not access the/a MP3 standard rating tag.

If so, fine.

But please tell me, how on earth is a user is supposed ot make sense of this without the list of metadata placeholders and the corresponding tags?

Is there any point me asking again for this list?? It is a pretty reasonable request, no???

But we have this list, it's linked 3 times here. Do you miss something on it or what's wrong with it?

The rating field in the ID3v2 standard is the POPM frame and can be accessed through POPULARIMETER in Mp3tag.

But we have this list

If you mean http://help.mp3tag.de/en/main_tags.html , the

a) it has no mention of placeholders
B) it covers only mp3

a) The placeholders are in the "Name in Mp3tag" column. If you want to use them in scripting or columns, just put % around the name.

Thanks. How about mentioning this in the docs, Florian?

So, all I need now is the complete list of placeholders and corresponding tags. Perhaps that will allow me to unravel the muddle with MP3 v. WMA rating and album artist.

Anyone?

Album Artist is BAND / %band% for both mp3 and wma, at least in recent versions.
And for WMA rating, you have to wait till it is implemented.

Album Artist is BAND / %band% for both mp3 and wma, at least in recent versions.

Ah, so it changed. 'Cos Florian previously told me to use %album artist% for wma.

Thanks, Dano.

So, all I need now is the complete list of placeholders and corresponding tags.

Now we have established that http://help.mp3tag.de/en/main_tags.html is not it, could someone tell me if this exists?

An official answer would be nice.

There is one official list of tag mappings for Mp3tag. This list explains the mapping of Mp3tag field names to the standard tag fields we have in ID3v2 and the WMA tags (and their implementation in different widely-used applications).

There is one standard way to access the contents of a tag field in every possible function: use %field name% as placeholder.

There are still some minor differences in the mapping, which I'd like to resolve. So if anyone has a suggestion regarding the field mapping (especially in resolving differences between different tag formats), please feel free to open a dedicated thread and collect some ideas.

Kind regards,
Florian

This list explains the mapping of Mp3tag field names to the
standard tag fields we have in ID3v2 and the WMA tags

Florian, there is no mention of WMA tags on that page.

There are still some minor differences in the mapping, which
I'd like to resolve. So if anyone has a suggestion regarding
the field mapping

I think I probably coould make some very useful suggestions... if I could see a list of the mappings. I have found out a few mp3tag>WMA mappings by experiment, but as you said in another thread, this is hard work and unreliable in WMP, and the mapping has change in mp3tag recently, so this does not seen like a good way to proceed.

Would you please publish the mappings for the other formats, just as you have for MP3? One bug table would be great. If you have the data in code form and just need it formatting for presentation, I can do that.

I still can't see any mention of WMA tags on that list. Sanity check please: can anyone else?

It's the column with WMA in the header.