Mp3tag behaves strangely upon start

I noticed this several times: I'm starting Mp3tag and it behaves weird. The fields on the left are showing pale until I start to tag any file. Much worse, the columns are in weird order, jumbled up. How can I restore the program from the backup setting I've saved in the %AppData% folder? Why does this happen at all? I sat hours to arrange the program the way I want it to and this happened every now and then.

see here:

This is normal behaviour. You have to select at least 1 file before you can enter any data in the tag panel.

The program can’t really decide to arbitrarily use or keep the settings as you have chosen, or to “jumble them up.” But have you recently updated mp3tag and gone from Windows 32-bit (which all versions were until recently) to 64-bit? If the old 32-bit program is still present, you could be running different versions.

See here for details of how to properly make this transition.

Yes, thank you. I've been thorough that problem before a few weeks ago, until I finally noticed different installations in the C:\Program Files and C:\Programs (x86) folder. However I removed all files belonging to the 32-bit version and will in the future download the 64-bit version manually. Thanks for the hint but I don't think that's the source of the problem.

Yesterday I shut down my computer including closing any and al programs before doing that. When I started Mp3tag again the columns and various fields were gone. That's why I named that phenomenon 'jumbled up.'

Are you sure that you also have removed all traces to the 32-bit version in the windows registry?
That's why the developer describe the change from 32bit to 64bit this way.

The userdata is stored in %appdata%\Mp3tag by default.
So, any remains there could cause problems.
Do you get any error messages when you close MP3tag?

I don't think that anything regarding 32-bit vs. 64-bit is causing the issues. Normally, both versions would use the configuration from %APPDATA%\Mp3tag when installed via the Standard installation.

This indicates that it was working before and I also can't explain what was happening there.

Do you have this saved in %APPDATA% or %APPDATA%\Mp3tag? If it's the former you can extract the contents to %APPDATA%\Mp3tag. If it's the latter then there is no much left to do — the Mp3tagSettings.zip gets automatically created whenever Mp3tag is closed, so it would already contain the "jumbled up" settings.

Do you have an external backup with the original working settings? If so, extract those to %APPDATA%\Mp3tag.

@LyricsLover
Well, I made registry cleanup with Ccleaner (after having de-installed the 32-bit version) to make sure all traces were gone. However, we still don't know if that's the source of the problem.

No error messages upon closing the program.

You are correct, the restored version has the same faulty columns now (the storing location is %APPDATA%\Mp3tag) and I assumed that all I have to do. I need to make sure in the future that I have a backup safely stored somewhere else. I have no idea why the program all of a sudden behaved differently than before. Thanks for the help.