Notes on the 64-bit version of Mp3tag

I've released a 64-bit version of Mp3tag a few days ago and received a few questions about differences between the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version.

To make it short, there should not be any noticeable differences except for two things:

• The 64-bit version uses 64-bits to address memory and is no longer limited to 2 GB per application. While the Library feature of Mp3tag is already a very viable solution for large libraries, loosening the memory restriction is one of the key benefits of 64-bit.

• The 64-bit version has no support for TAK. TAK is a closed-source codec that is made available in Mp3tag by utilizing a DLL. This DLL is unfortunately only provided as 32-bit version. 64-bit processes cannot load 32-bit DLLs. Edit: Mp3tag v3.17 now also contains a 64-bit version of TAK.

Installation and Update from 32-bit to 64-bit

Mp3tag 64-bit can only be installed on 64-bit versions of Windows. The recommended path is to uninstall the 32-bit version before upgrading — the uninstaller has an option to keep your configuration settings. If you install without prior uninstall, no harm is done and the 32-bit version is kept as a leftover on your system. You can remove it manually then.

The standard installation folder of the 64-bit version is at
C:\Program Files\Mp3tag
which differs from the standard installation folder of the 32-bit version at
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag

You can keep all your configuration settings and can use them also with the 64-bit version of Mp3tag. It's very recommended to backup your configuration settings before installing any software that is in Beta status. From Download and Installation

To backup your configuration settings, please choose File → Save configuration.

To restore the backup, unzip the backup archive to the folder that opens when you choose File → Open configuration folder. Close Mp3tag before copying any files to ensure that all files can be written.

5 Likes

Was about to try the 64 bit version but when starting the install it wants to put it at the C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag location. Is that the procedure or do we change destination folder ?

This is the case only if you don't uninstall beforehand. It's not a problem per-se to install there, but the convention is to use C:\Program Files\Mp3tag for 64-bit applications. As I wrote above:

A post was split to a new topic: LAME encoder version isn't displayed on 64-bit

I passed the info on to the TAK developer about the issue you have with the 32 DLL.

TBeck said, "I am confident that I will release one within a month (if nothing unexpected happens)."

Later.

3 Likes

Related: TAK 2.3.2

1 Like

Is the 64 bit (x64) version of Mp3tag stable, or out or beta? I have enough files to justify using it (plus, why not), but I want to make sure the bugs have been worked out.

As always, thanks Florian!

Yes, it's released as stable version since v3.15 and the rough edges that were reported after broad usage were resolved with v3.16.

I'm not aware of any issues related to the 64-bit version at the moment (except for a small installer quirk, which is not related to any functionality of Mp3tag).

1 Like

Thank you Florian. And my 42,209 files thank you too!

1 Like

The initial difference regarding TAK for the 64-bit version is now obsolete, Mp3tag v3.17 now also contains a 64-bit version of TAK.

1 Like