Notes on the 64-bit version of Mp3tag

I've released a 64-bit version of Mp3tag a few days ago and received a few questions about differences between the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version.

To make it short, there should not be any noticeable differences except for two things:

• The 64-bit version uses 64-bits to address memory and is no longer limited to 2 GB per application. While the Library feature of Mp3tag is already a very viable solution for large libraries, loosening the memory restriction is one of the key benefits of 64-bit.

• The 64-bit version has no support for TAK. TAK is a closed-source codec that is made available in Mp3tag by utilizing a DLL. This DLL is unfortunately only provided as 32-bit version. 64-bit processes cannot load 32-bit DLLs. Edit: Mp3tag v3.17 now also contains a 64-bit version of TAK.

Installation and Update from 32-bit to 64-bit

Mp3tag 64-bit can only be installed on 64-bit versions of Windows. The recommended path is to uninstall the 32-bit version before upgrading — the uninstaller has an option to keep your configuration settings. If you install without prior uninstall, no harm is done and the 32-bit version is kept as a leftover on your system. You can remove it manually then.

The standard installation folder of the 64-bit version is at
C:\Program Files\Mp3tag
which differs from the standard installation folder of the 32-bit version at
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag

You can keep all your configuration settings and can use them also with the 64-bit version of Mp3tag. It's very recommended to backup your configuration settings before installing any software that is in Beta status. From Download and Installation

To backup your configuration settings, please choose File → Save configuration.

To restore the backup, unzip the backup archive to the folder that opens when you choose File → Open configuration folder. Close Mp3tag before copying any files to ensure that all files can be written.

5 Likes

Was about to try the 64 bit version but when starting the install it wants to put it at the C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag location. Is that the procedure or do we change destination folder ?

This is the case only if you don't uninstall beforehand. It's not a problem per-se to install there, but the convention is to use C:\Program Files\Mp3tag for 64-bit applications. As I wrote above:

A post was split to a new topic: LAME encoder version isn't displayed on 64-bit

I passed the info on to the TAK developer about the issue you have with the 32 DLL.

TBeck said, "I am confident that I will release one within a month (if nothing unexpected happens)."

Later.

3 Likes

Related: TAK 2.3.2

1 Like

Is the 64 bit (x64) version of Mp3tag stable, or out or beta? I have enough files to justify using it (plus, why not), but I want to make sure the bugs have been worked out.

As always, thanks Florian!

Yes, it's released as stable version since v3.15 and the rough edges that were reported after broad usage were resolved with v3.16.

I'm not aware of any issues related to the 64-bit version at the moment (except for a small installer quirk, which is not related to any functionality of Mp3tag).

1 Like

Thank you Florian. And my 42,209 files thank you too!

1 Like

The initial difference regarding TAK for the 64-bit version is now obsolete, Mp3tag v3.17 now also contains a 64-bit version of TAK.

1 Like

Amazing work as usual, your time and dedication to this project is 2nd to none. I haven't donated to it in the past, but I surely will be going forward. Thanks for getting on the x64 train, I have super large libraries, that well exceed all the previous limits..this is a godsend. Thanks again!! Chris

1 Like

Even though I have taken a bit of a break from tagging I will be back to it soon. Donating once again, as I encourage all to do regularly, to reward you for this continued development. I hope the new drop down lists introduced in 3.17 (or 3.18) will work well. I surely will test it out. Thank you, Florian!!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I just installed the 64 bit version of Mp3Tag v 3.18 on top of my already installed 32 bit 3.15 (only because I have a 64 bit PC). When I opened the app, all my previous settings and configs were gone and the config file I'd saved was missing. I then reinstalled (reverted to) the previous v 3.15 and all my settings/config were back. As for the missing config file, it seem seems that the config folders used by these 2 versions are not the same? This is very confusing, would you care to elaborate? Also, by reverting to a previous 32 bit version, could I run into problems later on?

I would assume that you have a very old or even portable MP3tag installation that does not follow the standard with the %appdata% folder.
The best thing would be to use the old version's function to open the configuration folder and then get the user-defined files from there.
Using a 32-bit version is not bad in itself - you are then only limited to the 32-bit environment which may lead to memory address space problems.

I had v 3.15 dated May 2022 and it was a standard, not portable, installation. As for your comment, "the best thing would be to use the old version's function to open the configuration folder and then get the user-defined files from there", yes, I know that now but this is not something you should discover after installing a new version and discovering that your previous settings have disappeared.

That is why there is an extra link "additional notes" right next to the download link.
grafik
And there you read all about precautions like saving your settings.

Do you still have them now? Have you been able to import the settings with the new version? Installing a new version usually doesn't remove any configuration settings, even if there is a mix between 32-bit and 64-bit.

The only two cases I can think of are the use of a portable installation (then the settings are in the installation folder), but this was apparently not what you were using. Or a previous installation via the Microsoft Store, which uses a different folder for the configuration due to the sandboxing of the store version. In both cases, the settings are not deleted — which only happens when you uninstall and remove the configuration when asked.

I think you (and this page) answered my question which is the old configuration folder, which exists and contains my saved configuration file, is C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag whereas the folder used in the 64 bit installation is C:\Program Files\Mp3tag. This is not obvious unless one has read these community notes. When I installed the 64 bit version, I didn't know that this location had changed so I experienced a mild freak out when my previous config was gone! (I was very much relieved when upon reinstalling the old v3.15 the settings were restored!) I assume if I copy the old saved config file to the new location all will be well but to be honest the 32 bit version of Mp3tag was working fine before and I'll keep using v3.15 for now. Thanks for responding though!

This is only the case if you install Mp3Tag in portable mode and set the installation folders this way. In the standard mode the configuration folder is in both versions %appadata%\Mp3Tag.
The program folders are different with the 32bit-version and the 64-bit version, but not the configuration folder. Configuration files are copied into these program folders during installation but they have no meaning for your personal configuration in a non portable installation.

1 Like

You may have noticed that there is also a 32-bit version for the current version. So there is no need to stay with an old version.