Mp3tag for Mac v1.3 released

Mp3tag for Mac v1.3 released

It often feels good to be a Mac user and Mac developer around this time of the year. But this year made all the difference. I was very much surprised that all of my wishes for the MacBook Pro were realized — it’s almost too good to be true!

I waited really long, skipped all the models with the bad keyboard, and replaced my 2012 MBP with a MacBook Air early this summer. I needed something that was able to run Big Sur to address all its specialties. Now it’s quite difficult to justify buying the MBP: the Air is already the fastest computer I’ve ever used. Anyway, I’m just happy that there is a future for the Mac :raised_hands:

Today, I’ve released Mp3tag for Mac v1.3 and I want to take the opportunity to outline some of the changes for you:

Ready for macOS Monterey

It was not particularly difficult to support the new macOS this time — mainly because I’m relying on many standard user-interface elements in Mp3tag. I’m happy about some resolved issues in macOS Monterey that were also affecting Mp3tag and I’m crossing fingers that no new ones appear. If you’re a Shortcuts-aficionado, I’d love to hear about your envisioned use-cases for using Mp3tag from Shortcuts.

Action Groups and Action Categories from menu and toolbar

Your custom action groups and action categories are now also available as dedicated menu items from the main menu and the toolbar button. If you see yourself performing repetitive tasks again and again (like copying one field to another or removing fields you don’t need), please do yourself a favor and check out Mp3tag’s action feature. It’s like Apple Shortcuts in Mp3tag — or so :smiley:

Support for Swedish localization

This is something I’m very happy about! I’ve spent some time in Sweden this summer and practiced speaking — sometimes to the amusement of everyone involved. I’m learning Swedish via Duolingo for quite some time now, but it’s still not good enough to have done this translation myself. Andy reached out to me and translated everything to Svenska in a blast and even cross-checked with the existing localization of the Windows version. Tack så mycket!

A few more things

I’ve also worked on many more fixes and other changes that don’t make it into dedicated mentions in this newsletter. However, if you’re interested, you can inspect them all via the Mp3tag for Mac changelog. If something is unclear or sparks your interest, please don’t hesitate to ask.

If you’re not yet using Mp3tag for Mac, you can always get the 7-day trial version — only days you’re using the app are counted.

Thank you for reading, your interest, and your support.

Enjoy and take care
— Florian

1 Like

Thanks Florian, I happily paid for the upgrade and it's not even a lot of money you're asking for either :+1:

1 Like

Many thanks Scott! You've probably bought your first license — v1.3 is a free upgrade for everyone who already bought a license before :slight_smile:

I just realised that Id already bought it under a different email address in August 2019,,
Oh well, its a great app so I don't mind paying twice.

Might I make a suggestion though, can you add something to the app to let idiots like me know that its a registered version?

1 Like

I’ve just released it in February 2021 :smiley: So it probably was something different a donation for the Windows version.

Many thanks for the nice feedback and your continued support!

I've just released Mp3tag for Mac v1.3.1 with the following changes:

New

• Added support for user-defined field mappings.
  • Added support for refreshing tags from files without reloading directories via ⌥⌘R.
  • Added support for setting cover type for varying covers.
  • Added support for setting cover description for varying covers.
  • Added support for adjusting image format and size for varying covers.

Fixed

• Metadata field tool was lost when writing MP4.
  • Delete menu item was active even if no file was selected.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you mean by 'support for user-defined field mappings'? i've been using my own custom fields since the first alpha version. Is this different (like to map one 'standard' of ID3 to another?)

It's a good question and a non-obvious feature which needs more documentation. It's basically a way of mapping the name of a field you use in Mp3tag to a name that is written to the tags.

Mp3tag already comes with default field mappings for VorbisComments (the tag format used by Ogg, FLAC, and Opus) where, e.g. TRACK needs to be written to TRACKNUMBER for compatibility reasons.

See Preferences → Tag Types → Use field mappings for configuration options (and this topic from the documentation of the Windows version for a longer explanation).

i see. That makes total sense. Thanks again, Florian!

1 Like