Ok what I did in short form:
- Encoded an mp3 with LAME and VBR
- Put it on my mp3 player (File 1)
- Edited its tags with mp3tag 2.43
- Put it on my mp3 player again (File 2)
What I got:
- No problems with file one. It will play and I even can fast-forward and rewind it (however that works with an vbr) and the player shows the average bitrate.
- File two will be played as well. However the ffw and rew features are crippled: I can jump only in blocks and the player shows ridiculously high bitrates (above 320kbit/s mostly something around 1700-2100)
I believe that LAME safes additional data about the file and the encoding process in the tags or somewhere and mp3tag erases these data. Is there anything I can do about it? I would like to use mp3tag for it's the best tag editor on the web but I also want to use VBR for it has the best quality-size-ratio.
My player is an Archos Gmini XS202s btw. But I don't think that this matters. And yes I used the board search and came up with a similar topic but there was no solution.
Thanks in advance for your help!