Mp3tag's RAM clean up? A counter-productive behavior for reloading of files

In the wake of this issue

I have noticed that after some time the files that were loaded do Mp3tag and thus to RAM, will get somehow removed from the RAM

The secondary purpose of pre-loading of files to Mp3tag is to have them also in the memory [and not just on the list in the main window of Mp3tag] - so that there are much faster to re-upload [re-read]. So if I start doing some things in my operating system, then after enough time / tasks my RAM gets assigned to other pieces of software and files. And so the result is that when I will try to re-load more or less the same big set of files do Mp3tag then they are loaded from scratch [entirely from the disk] - which is a relatively slow process

Can this be somehow prevented? Can a program be told by OS to hold on to its RAM once it uses it for something?

And should not such RAM acquisition / reservation be implemented to Mp3tag by default? Maybe the user could assign a precise amount of RAM in the Options?

Managing the access to memory is a task of the OS - usually programs do not have any control over whether they are kept in the RAM or in the swap file.
I do not see a real connection to MP3tag as this is general behaviour of a particular OS and not of a special program. So please ask the suppliers of your OS about further details.

I also think it is almost normal,
can you upload an screenshot from process by using "process explorer"?
(Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs)
Windows Taskmanager mostly showing "bullshit".

I have no plans of messing with the operating system (I already know who'll win :sweat_smile: )

1 Like

But for example Photoshop lets the user specify the amount of RAM that is to be used by it. That [I guess] would be a solution to this issue in Mp3tag

I can. But how will it help?

I did not know if this RAM purge / retaking of RAM from Mp3tag was triggered by some process / third party software or just happens gradually over the time, because I have not observed a pattern yet. My report of behavior was just a statement of fact with the minimal output of data: a difference in time it takes to perform a re-load shortly after initial load-up of files and a re-load performed long time after such initial load-up. So when should I take that screenshot: before load-up and / or immediately after it and / or some time after and / or long time after it; prior to a re-load which turned out to be a slow one? We want to see how much RAM is used in a given moment?

If yes, then I did now some tests with the help of Resource Monitor. I was never able [like during a load-up of more and more files to CorelDRAW] to get my Standby RAM lower than ~125 MB. And after stopping the filling-up-process it steadied at ~400 MB of Standby. And the overall observations are consistent with my predictions: the more RAM is grabbed by other programs, the more likely Mp3tag will loose it hold on it- thus making the re-load of files slower. And when RAM is fully utilized then even an immediate re-load will be slower. And sometimes after closing other software and gaining as little as 500 MB of Standby RAM the re-upload process to Mp3tag becomes faster - while at other times I needed more than that despite still using the same set of files. [Trying now to figure out what program affects how this process would be a tedious work and not really beneficial to the case]

But in the light shed by my tests: cannot Mp3tag be told to hold on to once acquired parts of RAM? Cannot the user be allowed to tell Mp3tag to hold on to the grabbed RAM- and by grabbed I mean at least that part of it that was needed for the load-up of the current set of files? All of this could be definable in Options [with the current state of things / inner workings being the default ones]

Or would this be precisely what you had in mind when you wrote about the outcome?

As for a workaround

Should I just insert physically more RAM to the system?

I have 16 GB; of which during a normal usage 3 GB are left on Standby and 6.5 GB are shown in Resource Monitor as Free. But as my long time experience and nowadays test show, that unused half will be taken by big pieces of software like Photoshop and Corel and used up with time as the work in the progresses

Really no plans of adding any of that. Really.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.