MP4 Publisher compatibility

On version 3.11 support for the MP4 field PUBLISHER was added:

[2021-10-29] REL: VERSION 3.11 (for Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7)
[2021-10-20] NEW: added support for MP4 fields NARRATOR and PUBLISHER.

That means that the Mp3tag name PUBLISHER is now saved to the MP4 frame "©pub" instead of "----:com.apple.iTunes:PUBLISHER" (as described in Tag Field Mappings – Mp3tag Documentation). This leads to an incompatibility with other software (e.g. foobar2000, MediaInfo), which expect the publisher to be on the MP4 frame "----:com.apple.iTunes:PUBLISHER".

I thought that I could solve this incompatibility by using a user-defined mapping (Mapping – Mp3tag Documentation). So far I have tried the following without success (Tag: Source => Target):

• No mapping: PUBLISHER written to "©pub"
  • MP4: ©pub => PUBLISHER: PUBLISHER written to "----:com.apple.iTunes:©pub"
  • MP4: pub => PUBLISHER: PUBLISHER written to "----:com.apple.iTunes:pub"
  • MP4: ----:com.apple.iTunes:PUBLISHER => PUBLISHER: PUBLISHER written to "----:com.apple.iTunes:----:com.apple.iTunes:PUBLISHER"

In general, it seems that mapping a Mp3tag name to a custom field for MP4 saves it to "----:com.apple.iTunes:NAME":

• MP4: MYCUSTOMFIELD => PUBLISHER: PUBLISHER written to "----:com.apple.iTunes:MYCUSTOMFIELD"

So the "correct" mapping would be "MP4: PUBLISHER => PUBLISHER", which does not work (does not save anything).

Funnily enough, without any mapping, Mp3tag does read the PUBLISHER from the frame "----:com.apple.iTunes:PUBLISHER" but, on saving, it deletes the frame "----:com.apple.iTunes:PUBLISHER" and writes to "©pub".

Is there any way to map the Mp3tag name PUBLISHER to the MP4 frame "----:com.apple.iTunes:PUBLISHER"?

1 Like