Multiple artists in single folder

Hello there, I have a large number of files in one folder. They all belond to different artists and albums.

If I use DIRECTORY, everything gets moved to the folder of the first album the action is used against. Is there a way to have each album go into its respective Artist>Album directory without manually creating all the necessary folders?

How to create directory structures based on the tags and move the files?

When you're using a backslash in a format string, Mp3tag will create a directory from the part of the format string in front of a backslash.

Here is an example that creates new directories under D:\Music :
D:\Music\$left(%artist%,1)\%artist%-%year%-%album%\$num(%track%,2). %title%

Thanks Ryerman, that isn't the answer though.

Both actions move ALL the files in the folder to one new folder. I want each track to go to the respective Artist>Album folder.

The HowTo says

Renaming files, creating folders and complete directory structures from tags can be done by using the :mt_ttf: Converter > Tag - Filename with a format string

But you used _DIRECTORY instead of the _FILENAME
So @ryerman's answer was correct - the application was not.

2 Likes

Thanks

It should have been:

_FILENAME

> A:\Music\Record\%artist%\%album%\$num(%track%,2) %title%

This is going to solve a lot of problems, I really appreciate your help.

The downside is that any album art in the original folder doesn't get moved like it would with _DIRECTORY. Not sure what I could do about that without manual intervention?

Yes this is so.
The only way around:
Embed the covers in the audio files.
Rename only those files that need an extra folder.
Use a command shell to delete all picture files in all subfolders.
del /s *.jpg
Export all cover files with an action. The upside: you get nice consistently named picture files.

Okay, so is there a way for mp3tag to check for any jpg or jpeg files in a folder and then ember them? If there is, I can add an action before running the file rename/directory change.

An action of the type "Import cover from file"
with a format string like "*.jpg
which takes the first jpg file found in the current folder.

Or you have a naming scheme to identify which cover file belongs to which file.

1 Like

Thank you, I didn't know that was possible. Would I have to create a separate action to include .jpeg? Also, is there a way to suppress any errors where a file cannot be found?

Could some please confirm?

Isn't this something that you can easily find out yourself?
Or yes, to confirm: the file system reacts only to those strings that you specify.
But as wildcards are allowed, you could also use
*.j*g
if that leads to better results.
No, I don't think that you can suppress OS messages.

2 Likes