Multiple discs - best practice?

So far I've stored the files in folders like this:

• Artist\Album - Disc 1
  • Artist\Album - Disc 2

Each folder starting with track #1, and the album tag being "Album - Disc 1"

Sadly my new car is a bit crappy when it comes to browsing audio files, and I have to come up with a solution. The main problem is the lack of playlist support. When I want to play an album with multiple discs I have to play the first, then browse to find the next disc and play that.

My initial solution was to

• Move all files into the same album folder
  • Drop the disc number from the album tag
  • Keep existing discnumber and tracknumber tags

This solution was quickly discarded after a few tests.
The main problem was the audio players sorting, or rather lack of sorting, of the tracks.
All track #1 were listed before #2 and so on.

At this moment I'm thinking of discarding the idea of each disc starting with track #1.
This should ease the sorting issue, but my OCD are going to kick in. :smile:

If anyone has any good ideas or input I'd appreciate this much!

0 Likes

You could simply put the discnumber in front of the track number, so that the first track on disc 1 becomes 101, the first on disc 2 becomes 201.
Then remove any additons to the album that refer to the disc and leave just the plain album name.
The car player should then sort the tracks correctly.

If you want to get rid of the leading (implicit) discnumber in TRACK, use an action of the type "Format value" for TRACK and the
format string: $num($mod(%track%,100),2)

0 Likes

But how to distinguish in such system the 1st track from the 11th disc from the 101st track from the 1st disc?

It seems I am not able to find that discussion right now, but already there was some about these problems. And maybe it was in it or in some other thread, but I presented my system, in which I combined both the disc and track numbers

So for example I have 1.1 to indicate first track from first disc, while 2.3-4 means the third and fourth track from second disc merged into one file. It was not meet with an explosion of enthusiasm, but my continuing usage of it since that time validates it with empirical usefulness

And the reason behind such fusion was to save space in Tag Panel [now an obsolete one since we can define the size of fields] and the very limited space for showing tag fields in Winamp [still a burden for me]

0 Likes

-> 1101
I think that the CD specification sees no more than 99 tracks on a single cd. Do you know a real life example with a 100 of 48 seconds duration?

0 Likes

You think of genuine Compact Disc in accordance to Red Book etc.; as if Mp3tag was supposed to be used only for MP3 files ripped solely from CD's

Newsflash: we are no longer living in the 1990's

So how about if someone is using DISCNUMBER also for [or even just for] denoting sets of something different. Large sets including large quantities? Like audio files with recorded sounds of nature or for learning a foreign language? The latter one is from my life: I already have 50 lessons, sometimes with as many as 50 files in each. With your system I will not distinguish file 11 from lessons 11 from file 1 from lesson 111. And yes it is quite important, as the first lessons is baby stuff and I may want to listen later on to a random file from a certain area by selecting it by using the disc / track data

0 Likes

You are free to use more padding so that you can cater for 999 discs with 999 tracks each - and more.
You only have to adapt the divider accordingly (1000 in this case).

Still: we talk about DISCNUMBER all the time - not mp3 collections with volumes but phyiscal discs.
If you want to mirror the shipping unit of a "disc" then you are probably limited to the CD specification.

0 Likes