Multiple target fields in actions?

Is there any way to set multiple target fields for an action (semicolon and \\ don't work). If not, could it be added in the future?
It would cut down a lot on the mess in some of my action groups. A prime example would be replace and regex replace actions with some standard cleanup & fixes on all of the text tags in files.

No. You have to do it individually.
Also, I can hardly imagine replace actions that have to deal with the same text in several fields. If you fill the fields properly, you will hardly have any redundant information (with the possible exception of ALBUMARTIST and ARTIST).

Here are some reasons:
Spaces, ss, threepoints, quotes.mta
Correcting names FLAC.mta
Correcting names ID3v2.3.mta
So I'm interesting, too.

As these actions apply to more or less any field why not use _ALL?

Salut! :music:

_ALL not, because (for example) I do not want to use them for CUESHEET tag. By the way, would be great, too, something like _ALL_EXCEPT_OF...

Proposals ...

1. Action "Format value" Field .......: TEMP Format string: 'Test' 2. Action "Format value" Field .......: TEMP Format string: $repeat(%TEMP%'+++',4) TEMP ==> 'Test+++Test+++Test+++Test+++' 3. Action "Guess values" Source format ..: %TEMP% Guessing pattern: %TAGFIELD1%+++%TAGFIELD2%+++%TAGFIELD3%+++%TAGFIELD4%+++ TAGFIELD1 ==> 'Test' TAGFIELD2 ==> 'Test' TAGFIELD3 ==> 'Test' TAGFIELD4 ==> 'Test' ... or ... 1. Action "Format value" Field .......: TEMP Format string: $repeat('Test+++',4) 2. Action "Guess values" Source format ..: %TEMP% Guessing pattern: %TAGFIELD1%+++%TAGFIELD2%+++%TAGFIELD3%+++%TAGFIELD4%+++ TAGFIELD1 ==> 'Test' TAGFIELD2 ==> 'Test' TAGFIELD3 ==> 'Test' TAGFIELD4 ==> 'Test' ... or ... 1. Action "Guess values" Source format ..: $repeat('Test+++',4) Guessing pattern: %TAGFIELD1%+++%TAGFIELD2%+++%TAGFIELD3%+++%TAGFIELD4%+++ TAGFIELD1 ==> 'Test' TAGFIELD2 ==> 'Test' TAGFIELD3 ==> 'Test' TAGFIELD4 ==> 'Test'

DD.20150803.2200.CEST

1 Like

:flushed: ...

:flushed: ...

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: !!!

:sorcerer: :book:

:music:

Many thanks, Detlev!

(And now I understood your previous proposal, too. :rolleyes: )

Detlev, it seems, you offered me a non-working solution. :frowning: The case of blank fields after guess values is not resolved: Empty tag-field in "FLAC / Vorbis Comment" tag?

I ran into it, too.

I did not offer a "non-working solution", but a proposal, ...
which works at least for the ID3v2 tag, I have checked this before publishing, ...
what to do with it, that's your business.

Here in this thread, it was previously unknown that you want to assign empty values to tag-fields.
As you now found out, Mp3tag cannot deal with FLAC files in the wanted way, ...
when one or more empty tag-fields occur in the use of the action "Guess values".

The problem with FLAC files has been already mentioned there ...
Empty tag-field in "FLAC / Vorbis Comment" tag?

If there is displayed in the dialog "Extended Tags" one tag-field or more, having no value, ...
then a manual "Save tag" [Ctrl+S] will remove these tag-fields.

DD.20150809.0633.CEST

Thank you for quick response, Detlev. Your proposal was valuable anyway for me, as I wrote earlier - it gave me an excellent idea.

I found only this way, too*. Unfortunate. :frowning: I think, this behavior limits in 90% the using value of guess value function - really, if use it on thousands of files (and this is the purpose of tag redactors), we can be sure maximum in presenting of TITLE tag, not any more.

And, IMO, the importance of mp3, lossy compression, with ID3v2, melt into air today. I use it only in my Sansa clip, but redact flac files. For most of us, flac is THE music file.

So, after 8. comments, we are again in the start, where aax began: Multiple target fields in actions?...

*By the way: "manual" resaving is manual, strictly?

Hmm, so far as I can say for now, ...
rewriting the entire tag structure into FLAC file by "Save tag [Ctrl+S]" ...
works for all selected files at once, and removes empty tag-fields.
I recommend that the developer Florian put some code into Mp3tag to avoid the creation of empty tag-fields in the FLAC tag.

DD.20150809.1515.CEST