Multiple-valued fields in file view

Seems to only be half-way there. Yes, it's good that you can now enter more than one value, but they aren't displayed, as they are in the Tag Panel. So you can't edit them.

If you change the value of the column from i.e.
%artist%
to
$meta_sep(artist,\\)

it should work.

Uh, ok, I might try that, but why do I need to do that instead of having it already work like this?

dano, thanks. That works well. Does a new installation of Mp3tag already have this entered for the column values? I'm guessing that it was decided not to change the Value entries of existing installations. The Artist and Genre columns are the only ones where it seems important, as I'm not sure it makes sense in the others to have more than one value.

In the Listview I have set the artist column value to "$meta(artist)" to see "ABC, NIN".
In the Panelview I see "ABC\\NIN" and can edit "ABC\\NIN" and see "ABC\\NIN".
In the Listview I see "ABC, NIN" (what I prefer) due to "$meta(artist)" even after an edit in the Panelview..
But if I edit the artist field in the Listview I see also "ABC, NIN" in edit mode (other behaviour than in Panelview) and I have to change all "," to "\\" manually to pevent loosing multiple artist entries before leaving the edit mode with Enter.

So it should be taken over to/from Florian to adapt the Panelview edit behaviour to the Listview edit mode for table cell which contains multiple values.

• Edit mode as 'internally' multi value representation: "ABC\\NIN".
  • Listview mode as defined by column value property: e. g. "$meta(artist)" = "ABC, NIN".

DD.20090624.2048.CEST

No, it doesn't have these values (yet). Since I've introduced this feature with the latest Development Build, I first wanted to make sure everything works as expected before I go and change the defaults.

In addition to that, I'm still not sure whether displaying multiple values in the list is a good idea at all. Sure, experienced users like you would prefer seeing these values by default but what's about the novice who suddenly sees artists like 'ABC\\DEF'. I'm not sure whether this wouldn't increase support overhead. What do you think?

I don't see why this distinction would improve anything. Especially, editing artists which already contain commas would result in multiple artist values causing confusion if only one part is displayed in the other .

Kind regards,
Florian

They already see this displayed in the Tag Panel, don't they? I think making it consistent would cause less confusion.

The Artist and Genre columns are the only ones where it
seems important, as I'm not sure it makes sense in the
others to have more than one value.

It makes sense to allow multiple titles - I have dozens of tracks having two titles.

but what's about the novice who suddenly sees artists like 'ABC\\DEF'.

It is worth giving some consideration to anyone who has already got \\ in their tags. In this case, Mp3tag's changed interpretation causes just loading a track and saving to change the tags. Not good.

I think Mp3tag-special interpretation should be an Option. I appreciate to extra functionailty but it is REALLY important to me to have the option of standard interpretation, inc which Mp3tag does not fiddle with my tag content.

However I'd like to understand this new feature more before requesting such a thing. Can someone direct me to the docs? Thanks.

How is it a new feature, other than to behave like this in the file view? It's been like this in the Tag Panel for as long as I can remember.

One of the questions I have is how is it handled in tagging systems that don't have a facility for multiple fields with the same name (as FLAC and Ogg do) or multiple values for a field (as, I believe, ID3v2.4 does)? For example, what does Mp3tag do when \\ is encountered in the data being written to an ID3v2.3 tag?

How is it a new feature, other than to behave like this in the file view?

Sorry - new to me! :slight_smile:

what does Mp3tag do when \\ is encountered in the data being written to an ID3v2.3 tag?

Messes up. :frowning:

Does $meta() only works with artist?

No.

Thank you for this thread!!!!

I kept searching for multi-value artist, multiple artists in a field, multiple artists in a tag, and finally came here.

So if I understand Dano's explanation correctly, is the default Artist column essentially equal to $meta(Artist,0)?

And the default view of Artist in the Tag Panel is essentially equal to $meta_sep(Artist,\\)?

Thanks for your help.

Yes.