newbie confusion

First Post...nice site...lived in Zirndorf for a while...sure miss the Bier and Brots!

Here comes another lame nubie!

I have been ripping music, to OGG format, for a couple of years now using dBpowerAMP freeware. I was oblivious to tagging till...just now, when I bought a Sansa e280 MP3 player.

So I have about 5,000 songs and my neighbor, with a terabyte of music, starts telling me "we are not using OGG any more, we are using FLAC."

So its starting to dawn on me that I'm a dinosaur and here comes a asteroid.

My question: I need to go from ID3v1 to ID3v2.3 to take advantage of the features...can Mp3tag do that?

details: I am converting OGGs to MP3 files using dBpowerAMP. I can play what I have with some minor modification, but times 5,000 is a bit of work. I would like to have embedded cover art, but its not critical. I am not going to be chasing all the latest improvements such as FLAC. I am just trying to get the most out of this Sansa e280.

On the other hand...if I'm a dinosaur running from a asteroid...and there's a cliff I'm about to fall off of could someone let me know.

Please don't beat me up too badly, a.k.a. we covered that in Chapter 1!!! I'm a visual learner, a.k.a. I'm a poor reader; and I'm doing my part using FOSS Blender to illustrate Engineering concepts so that others can pick it up with out doing a ton of reading.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :book:

Hi,

your main issue seems to be that you are converting ogg to mp3. You will lose a lot of quality converting one lossy file to another.
About the tagging issue, yes Mp3tag can do that. Just choose in Options what ID3 version you want the tags to be written in.

Prost!

Thanks for getting back to me!

I am starting to review the posts for doing the conversion from ID3v1 to ID3v3.2

I recorded my OGGs at 500 Kbps variable bit rate and I am stepping them down to MP3 192 Kbps fixed bit rate. I guess I should have known that lossy + lossy = more loss, but thanks for pointing that out. I was using a funky old WindowCE MP3 player, running WMAv8 96 Kbps, so this is an improvement.

I am just finding out, what you already know, that having a iPod-like player is transformative. Now if I just had a Andechs Doppelbock Dunkel I'd be all set. When you've been brewing beer for 500 years, you know a thing or two. We're trying to catch up out here in the woods of Oregon.

Prost!