Novice question about using tags to cerate folder structures

Hi there,

I'm new to this great software!

Question 1

I have a load of loose songs in a folder within My Music. These have been bought/obtained over a number of years and have never resided within their own Album folders before.

I now want to sort this out. They are all tagged Artist, Title and many of them have Album Title too.

I want to create a new folder structure which puts all of the songs within new folders named Artist\Album Title.

What do I need to do?
I tried C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My Documents\My Music\Random Songs$left(%artist%,1)\%artist% - %album%$num(%track%,2). %title%

This wasn't bad, but created folders first with each letter A - Z and then also added track numbers to my file name so it went from "Artist - Title.mp3" to "track number Artist - Title.mp3" which I do not want.

Have I been clear? Can anyone help?

Question number 2

Further down the line, I want to create a new folder structure for my entire collection in My Music.

If I have 5 Daft Punk albums, I want one folder called Daft Punk and then within there 5 folders each named album

So, right now I have
C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My Documents\My Music\Daft Punk - Homework
C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My Documents\My Music\Daft Punk - Discovery
C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My Documents\My Music\Daft Punk - Alive
etc

Instead I want

C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My Documents\My Music\Daft Punk\Homework
C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My Documents\My Music\Daft Punk\Discovery
C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My Documents\My Music\Daft Punk\Alive

Is this possible with MP3Tag?

I await your responses and thank you!

Tag to Filename can do this pretty easily.

C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My Documents\My Music\Random Songs\\%artist%\\%album%\\%_filename%

This will move all the selected files into ...Random Songs\Artist Name\Album Name\Original Filename.mp3. If you want to change the filenames also, just change %_filename% to whatever you want. If the files are already in the "Random Files" folder (and not subfolders), you don't need to use the whole path:

%artist%\\%album%\\%_filename%

This will move them to the correct folders as well.

If I understand correctly, this should work on both of your questions, just change the directory and leave the "%artist%\%album%\%_filename%" for the second question.

That's great thanks.
I don't think I had appreciated what would happen to all of my album art which is within the original folders called folder.jpg.

I guess I'm just going to have to manually add each image back into each folder.
The headache comes when there's a compilation album, so the album is actually spread accross 10+ different Artist folders.

I think I should have thought more about this :flushed: