Open command prompt from Tools

I have my mp3 files on a NAS and would like to open a Dos Command prompt in the directory of the track I've selected in MP3Tag. I added a new action and pointed to the exe in C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe. When I right click and select the action a dos box opens but I get:

'CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.
UNC paths are not supported. Defaulting to Windows directory.

C:\Windows>'

How can I fix it so that cmd.exe open in my chosen directory?

Try to add the NAS-path as a windows drive so that you can address it with a drive letter (instead of the \\servername\folder notation).
Use the Explorer function "Add network drive" (my translation) for that.

Yes, that works. Thank you :slight_smile: . Just wondering if I can get away with not using mapped drives. More research needed I guess :book:

I have defined a Mp3tag tool like this ...

Name: &DOS Box here Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe Parameter: '/D /K CD /D "'%_folderpath%'"'

... don't know if it would work for your situation.

DD.20140302.1827.CET

That didn't work for me but it inspired me to experiment. I just tried:

/s /k pushd "%_folderpath%"

as the parameter set and it does work in that it assigns a temporary drive letter and opens a command prompt in the desired directory. So getting much closer.

Ok, that's good to know.

DD.20140302.1925.CET

See if this Microsoft Knowledge Base article helps. Apparently cmd.exe simply doesn't permit UNC paths to be passed to it as a guard. This behavior can be disabled with a registry entry. I just tried it in Windows 7 and it works for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156276