Open With... Mp3tag option not working on MAC

Hi guys!

I've recently made the switch to mac and i sadly find out that MP3tag isn't supported on osx. Fortunately, however, i figured out to use mp3tagv293-macOS-Wine.
Currently i'm using Mojave 10.14.2.

I need some help with this one. I'm trying to make a simple script (using automator) that open the selected files from Finder into the Mp3tag app (using a hotkey combination). The problem is that it doesn't work.
I tried to open a file using "Open With -> Mp3tag" but an error message box pop up with the fallowing message: "The document "The filename of the track" could not be opened. wine cannot open files in the "AIFF-C audio format" ". I have the same result with mp3 & flac.

Another problem is that i can't figure out how to open a file in order to play it on an external player (VLC for example) by double clicking it. I've tried to go to Options -> Tools -> i've added a tool with the parameter: /PLAY "%_path" and as a PATH i've chosen the "Z:\Applications\VLC.app\Contents\MacOS\VLC" , because i can't simply select the VLC.app (it sees it like a folder/package). I don't know if it's possible or i've made something wrong.

I know that this is a wine app but maybe my problems/questions have a solution.
I really miss Mp3tag. I've tried other apps but none come closer to Mp3tag.
Kudos!
(sorry for mistakes, i'm not a native english speaker)

You can drag'n'drop from Finder to quickly open files in Mp3tag.

Regarding the path you provide to VLC: it somehow needs to be adjusted from the Wine-internal Windows path representation to the macOS path representation. My rough guess is something like

"$replace($replace(%_path%,'Z:',),\,/)"

Thank you Florian!

So there is no quick possibility to open some files in Mp3tag using hotkeys? :frowning: . On windows i was using autohotkey. It was very fast and helped me a lot in my worklflow.

I added what you posted and It works, but it opens new vlc instances for every song that i open. I also tried with "/ADD" but no success.
After a quick search i've found that "On the Mac , running multiple instances of VLC is not supported out of the box." so i don't know how is this possible.

Thank you once again!! :slight_smile:

I'm not going to invest much time in workarounds for the Wine-based version

My focus for macOS is to create a native application and I've started working on it already some time ago — I still get side-tracked by the work on the Windows version of Mp3tag, but I'll keep going.

So glad to hear that you want to release a native app!! I will support you for sure!
Can somehow check when/where it will be ready?
It would be nice if you could give all users here a mail with this big news!!

Thank you! Have a nice day!

You can subscribe to the Newsletter to receive occasional updates (including releases for new platforms :slight_smile: ) or watch the #announcements category (it's the icon in the upper right corner below your user avatar).