Playlists for artists

Hey guys,

I know there are a lot of playlist questions asked but I've spent an hour searching and can't figure out this one...

Tree is:
\Genre\Artist\Album

I've done the magic playlist per album:
\Genre\Artist\Album\playlist_with_albumtracks.m3u

but I'd like to have a playlist per artist in the root of the artist directory:
\Genre\Artist\playlist_with_all_artist_tracks.m3u

and possibly playlist per genre:
\Genre\playlist_with_all_genre_tracks.m3u

Any clues...?

Create export files.

Export button on the toolbar - New button on the appearing window - Give a name (e.g. Album Playlist, Artist Playlist, etc.) - Edit the export file

What to write in the export file?

1. If you want to create an album playlist 'playalbum.m3u' (a playlist containing all the tracks of the album):
  • replace the text of the export file with this:

$filename(%_folderpath%playalbum.m3u)#EXTM3U
    $loop(%album%,1)$loop(%_path%)#EXTINF:%_length_seconds%,$if(%artist%,$if(%title%,%artist% - %title%,%_filename%),%_filename%)
    %_filename_ext%
    $loopend()$loopend()

• Save the file.

• Run the script with these checkbox state:
    [ ] Append data
    [x] One file per directory

1. If you want to create an artist playlist 'playartist.m3u' (a playlist containing all the tracks of the artist)

$filename(%_folderpath%..\playartist.m3u)#EXTM3U
    $loop(%artist%,1)$loop(%_path%)#EXTINF:%_length_seconds%,$if(%artist%,$if(%title%,%artist% - %title%,%_filename%),%_filename%)
    %_directory%\%_filename_ext%
    $loopend()$loopend()

• Save the file.

[x] Append data

1. If you want to create a genre playlist 'playgenre.m3u' (a playlist containing all the tracks of the same genre)

$filename(%_folderpath%....\playgenre.m3u)#EXTM3U
    $loop(%genre%,1)$loop(%_path%)#EXTINF:%_length_seconds%,$if(%artist%,$if(%title%,%artist% - %title%,%_filename%),%_filename%)
    %_parent_directory%\%_directory%\%_filename_ext%
    $loopend()$loopend()

• Save the file.

[x] Append data

However, if you run the export script twice (for example you find a mispell in your fields, and you fix it), unfortunately the second run append the track information to the end of the previous version of m3us. So before re-run the script, you should delete all the previously created m3u files.
The best solution for this problem would be the support for multi-file creation (more filename declarations allowed) in export scripts (unother sugesstion for Florian... :smiley: ). If this thing implemented, you shouldn't care of checkboxes anymore... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pointers!

Your artist export was almost what I wanted, I had to add a %_directory% to the path so it could find the files but easy to do once I understood what your scripts were doing.

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Oops, you're right. I just copy-and-past the first version, and forgot to change the path info. But now it's fixed.

This is really close to what I want: A playlist by Artist with all playlists in the C:\Music\Playlists directory. I've tried modifying the code, but I get the wrong path info in the playlist.

Any suggestions?

Not as bad as I thought:

$filename(C:\Music\Playlists\\%artist%.m3u)#EXTM3U
$loop(%artist%,1)$loop(%_path%)#EXTINF:%_length_seconds%,
$if(%artist%,$if(%title%,%artist% - %title%,%_filename%),%_filename%)
%_path%
$loopend()$loopend()

I just had to redirect the $filename to the appropriate directory, and put the full path in the playlist, and have the artist name as the playlist name. Easy! :sunglasses: