Portable Installation Question

Quote:

"If you want to backup your settings, please choose File, Save configuration. To restore the backup, you have to unzip the backup archive to %APPDATA%\Mp3tag which usually expands to the following directories

Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mp3tag

Windows Vista
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mp3tag

Windows 7/8/8.1/10
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mp3tag

Note: If you use a portable installation, just use the program directory to store the settings

End Quote:

Please explain the underlined sentence above. I have not (yet) created a portable installation on a USB memory stick, but your instructions to create it seem straightforward. However this last sentence doesn not make any sense to me. Can you help?

Thanks...

Dennis...aka "d2b"

Hi Dennis,

usually, with standard installations, Mp3tag uses the settings that are stored in the user-specific directory at %APPDATA%\Mp3tag. If you want to use a portable installation, the idea is to not store the settings on the computer, but instead in the Mp3tag program directory (e.g., the directory on your USB drive).

I've made some significant changes to the installer with the current Development Build, where you can now choose to install in a portable way directly from the installer.

Kind regards
– Florian