Possible Way to Block folder.jpg?


#1

I just started using this program for almost 2months and I was wondering if there is a way to block Windows Media Player from creating that hidden file "folder.jpg" which is the album art...

Here's my situation...
I have about 201 mp3 files in the same folder. I edited their tags and the cover art...but somehow, WMP seems to reveal "hidden tags"... I experimented again and again until I finally solved this problem...I moved all files to another folder, deleted all hidden covers in the folder, cleared the history of WMP, deleted the cache in the Windows folder and I managed to fix it...

The problem is, I still can't fix the album art problem... Whenever I play a music, minutes later, it would create a hidden "folder.jpg". Sometimes, that "folder.jpg" is not a problem at all... but often, whenever I play another mp3 which is of the different album art, the art displayed doesn't change...

My conclusion? All the album art WMP creates is named folder.jpg which means, if I play an mp3 with a different art, it would borrow the existing folder.jpg instead of creating a new one because it is not possible to have the same filename inside a folder...

Now, does anyone know how to solve this problem? or know how to prevent WMP from creating "folder.jpg"? or if possible, knows how to make WMP overwrite an existing folder.jpg everytime I play an mp3 with a different cover art? And is it possible to rename the cover art name from folder.jpg to different one?

Though I'm not quite sure my conclusion is correct... but I don't see any other reasons about that cover art problem...


#2

Well, this hardly an mp3tag problem, is it?
The only way around seeing the wrong cover art is to move all files that should show a different picture to a separate folder. The name of the file already gives it away: it is intended for a folder.

Use the converter tag-filename with a mask like
%album%\%title%

to move files to separate folders.


#3

I don't really want to put them in seperate folders...

BTW I managed to fix the problem FOR NOW. I still don't know if this would be a permanent fix...I'll have to observe for a couple of days....

What I did was, create a blank text file with Notepad, saved it as "Folder.jpg", made it Read-only and hidden, and I placed with my mp3 files... I really hope that does it...

Thanks for the tip btw :smiley:


#4

The solution IMO is obvious - stop using that software.

I find it baffling why someone would want to continue to use software that so obviously is broken (read: doesn't meet one's needs). Microsoft software, in particular is actively dangerous with audio file meta data. Make sure to back up your tags before doing anything in Windows Explorer for example. . .

There are so many great players out there that are more respectful of the user, and most of them are free.