Predefined list for composers

Hi Florian, might be a good idea to add the possibility of predefined list for composers as already existing for genres

See e.g. here:

(How many different entries would you expect? Up to 20?)

Only a composer list would be fine. I'm thinking of a lot more than 20 even up to 200 :slight_smile:

please, use the search function in this forum and see the numerous threads on this topic, e.g. this one:

You can see from the numbers and lengths of the various threads that this discussion has been around for a while.
And quite honestly, I don't think that you get too many names together of composers that have published a lot of tracks and are still productive today.
Or the other way round: for those who are still productive, the intervals between releases are usually a year or so and during all that time of silence the entries for them clog up the list of the active ones - which would be a few.
If you already have a track by a certain composer, use that as a template, select it together with the files that need tagging and select the right name from the drop-down list in the tag panel composer field (it you have added that field there).
Or use the way of the "Format value" actions.

I am talking about classical composer like Beethoven and the like, drop down list would be very helpful when tagging classical music

I would assume that there is a rather limited list of composers.
So it should be easy to create a number of actions of the type "Format value" to fill the composer field.

BTW: as the contents of the field is by no means standardized, it is very much down to personal taste what to enter in such a field - and that can be achieved easiest with the aforementioned actions.
E.g. some just want Grieg, some Edvard Grieg, some like Edvard Hagerup Grieg, some see Edvard Grieg (composer) as input.
Or Beethoven, Ludwig van Beethoven or Beethoven, Ludiwg van ...

(and why should I get a predefined list with classical music composers, when my prime music interest lies in Chinese traditional music?)
So far the recommendation is: create a couple of actions for the recurring names.

I think the suggestion is just to allow adding custom entries to the Composer drop-down list on the Tag Panel to choose from. Similar as with custom Genres.

It's probably a little bit more comfortable as going the route via dedicated actions (and right there when you fill in the field).

I've moved the post to #general and made a note regarding your interest in this feature.

It is not the intention to get a list predefined by mp3tag, but a list to be completed yourself, just like you can fill in anything on the genre list. If the user prefers to use Ludwig van Beethoven instead of simply Beethoven then this is his own choice just as you decide how to name a genre. Currently I enter composer via an excel list and copy/paste, it would be very useful if I could do it from a dropdown list

In principle, I have nothing against such predefined lists, whose workflow is made easier by them should perhaps have this option.

However, this approach does not correspond at all to my own workflow. I don't even choose the entries from the genre list but type in the genres myself, which is done quickly thanks to the auto-completion. However, I've always been bothered by the fact that I can't see the genres in a file selection and possibly equate them in the tag panel, as is usual with other fields. Instead I have to create a genre column to see them.

For a while there was an unofficial and actually not intended workaround in Mp3Tag to create the genre field in the tag panel twice, 1x as a predefined list, 1x like the usual tag fields. This workaround, which was actually not intended, was then dropped at some point.
I wouldn't like it if a core feature of the tag panel was left behind for other fields as well.

The desire for a click list in the tag panel for all possible fields is sometimes written here. Most of the time you can see that the wish has not been properly thought through and only arises from one's own needs. Requests for a shortlist for ARTIST had already been expressed. I have the impression that such wishes are generally expressed by users who perhaps only collect music from a maximum of 100 artists or have files in the four-digit range to edit.

While I can understand a classical music collector's desire for a composer pick list, what about the users who also use the COMPOSER tag field and collect pop/rock/jazz/folk etc.
I've only filled the COMPOSER field for an estimated 40% of my music collection for theses genres and I think that there are already more than 1000 different composers included. What's the point of a selection list, especially since more than 90% of such content is filled by web source scripts.

In summary:
Nothing against selection lists for the click-mad, but please not at the expense of an existing and beloved feature of MP3Tag.
So if a solution is found in which both - a selection list and the usual tag panel solution - can coexist side by side without interference, go for it. Personally, I can only really imagine this with an option-solution depending on your wishes: choose between pick-list and "classic" tagpanel.