Problem Applying Properties to MP4 File

Hello,

I've been having a problem applying properties to a particular MP4 file.

By "applying properties," I mean: editing the various fields in the "Details" page of the Windows "File Properties" notebook, by accessing the file in the normal way through Windows Explorer, and then "right-clicking" on the file in question, (which brings up the "pop-up" menu), and choosing "Properties." I don't mean editing the details using MP3Tag.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.

MP3Tag Version is v2.80.

The file in question is a classical music performance, which was broadcast in February, 2015, which I managed to download from YouTube.

I suspect that the software I used to download the file has saved the tags in ID3 v2.4 format, which, (I understand), is not supported in any version of Windows.

I am attaching a screenshot of the Windows error message:

I have searched all through the FAQs and the forums to find a similar topic, but, alas, I was unable to find one; neither was I able to find a similar topic in the MP3Tag online help.

I have three questions:

1. In the case of a file containing ID3 v2.4 tags, is it possible to convert those tags to ID3 v2.3?

2. If the answer to Q1 is "Yes," could someone please advise me how to do it?

3. If the answer to Q1 is "No," could anyone recommend any other software that might be able to do it?

If you need any further information, please reply to this thread, and I shall be more than happy to supply any information that I possibly can.

Many thanks in advance for any help, suggestions or advice.

Thanks and regards to all
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, Australia)

Check if the files have nero tags - they are non-standard and are not supported by mp3tag.
If you have, then you have to remux the files to get a clean container.

To check which tag-version you write , see Tools>Options>Tags - although this usually applies only to Mp3 files and not MP4s. Mp4s have their own tag standard which is automatically written by MP3tag.

To change tag versions,
set the required version in MP3tag,
select the files
press Ctrl-S to save the tags again

This should set the new tag version.

Many thanks for your reply!

How can I check if the file has Nero tags?

Also, I'm very new to this subject area, so I would like to ask what would be your recommended remuxing application?

Here is a screenshot of my tag version settings:

In the Mpeg tag options, I see two versions of ID3v2.3: ID3v2.3 UTF-16 and ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.
The screenshot shows that ID3v2.3 UTF-16 is checked.
Would that be your recommended setting, or would you recommend that I change to ID3v2.3 ISO8859-1?

Many thanks for your help.

The tag version settings look ok to me.

Actually, I don't know how to check that. But you could use something like xmediarecode to create an MP4 copy and see if that file behaves properly.

Many thanks for the info! :smiley:

I think it's time for me to start doing some research! :smiley:

Thanks and regards
Christopher Souter
(Sydney, Australia)