Problem converting tag to file

I have been using MP3TAG for several years. I suddenly started getting strange results when I do Convert Tag to filename.

I am working with a network drive on Windows 10 that I have accessed as M:

Here is my conversion: %genre%\%artist%\%album%$num(%track%,2) - %title%

I originally had it as : M:\%genre%\%artist%\%album%$num(%track%,2) - %title%

I get the same results either way. For some, but not all albums, I am getting an additional folder "M" inserted. I initially selected my entire collection of nearly 20,000 songs. Most albums stayed rooted of M:\ whereas a portion of them were rooted off M:\M. When I compare songs that are working properly with some that are broken, I do not see any obvious reason for the extra folder. The folder structure underneath M is correct, it just has the additional folder added.

Here is an example of a file that works an one that doesn't in the Preview:
--- The file "M:\M\Folk Rock\Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band\Live1975-85 (Disc 1)\11 - Raise Your Hand.mp3" already exists.
--- The file "M:\Rock\Bryan Adams\Cuts Like a Knife\01 - The Only One.mp3" already exists.

Update: Perhaps this is a bug with removing special characters from name components. It appears that they all have a '/' somewhere in the concatenation of the values.

see this thread on a similar behaviour - perhaps you have to update MP3tag.

/t/18460/1

Thanks! That looks like exactly the same problem. I installed 2.80 a couple days ago but it looks like the fix may be in 2.81 which was released yesterday. I have installed it and will give it a try.

This is fixed in release 2.81