[Proposal] Mp3tag entry in folder background context menu

I install Mp3tag checking the "Explorer Context Menu" option, and I'm a heavy user of this feature for years. (just as a reminder: when right-clicking on a folder, it adds a "Mp3tag" entry in the context menu, that opens Mp3tag, selecting that folder)

But when right-clicking on the empty space inside a folder, there is no such entry in the context menu. It would be very, very helpful to also have a Mp3tag entry in this case.

Currently, and a lot of times, I have to go up one folder (Alt+Up), then right-click on the folder to be able to launch Mp3tag. Then for other stuff, go inside my folder again.

I tried the following, but it didn't work and is even making Explorer to crash:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Mp3tagShell]
@="{6351E20C-35FA-4BE3-98FB-4CABF1363E12}"

If you select the files in the current folder with Ctrl-A and then drag&drop them on the MP3tag window, you will also load the files into MP3tag.

Indeed. I could select all files, then do "right-click > Mp3tag".

Still, just having to right-click on empty space would be faster / more convenient.

1 Like

Do you know any program that has an entry in that kind of context menu?
I use a lot of MS and Adobe programs - and none of them have functions in the background context menu, not even a zip program.

WinMerge provides this entry.

But indeed, neither of the following provides this entry: VLC, foobar2000, IrfanView, FastStone Image Viewer, WinRAR, 7-Zip...

It could be interesting to search in WinMerge source code how the feature is implemented.

Maybe one of the listed

context menu edit tools

Ultimate Windows Customizer,
ContextEdit
ShellExtView or ShellMenuView
Easy Context Menu
MenuMaid
File Menu Tools

in this article can help you?

At first glance, I'm afraid no one of these tools implement this feature.

If it may help, here is the implementation of IShellExtInit::Initialize in WinMerge: WinMergeShell.cpp#L213-L300

I have managed to implement the feature with a simple Registry addition :smiley:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\background\shell\Mp3tag]
"Icon"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mp3tag\\Mp3tag.exe"
"Position"="Top"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\background\shell\Mp3tag\command]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mp3tag\\Mp3tag.exe \"%V\""

(The "position top" (or bottom, your pick) line is optional, I use it so that the Mp3tag entry isn't next to the "Undo ..." entry, to prevent accidental clicks on it...)

Refs: Creating Shortcut Menu Handlers