Question about Assigning Tags directly without using filename as intermediary

I know I am going to reveal myself to be ignorant about using MP3TAG, although I have been using it for years, but I cannot find an answer to this question, and would appreciate any help.

I spend a lot of time cleaning up other peoples' tagged files: the information may be there, but not necessarily in the right tag or format (for me).

As an example, for audio books, I like to put the "Track#-Album" into the Title tag (eg, "01-To Kill A Mockingbird"), and the Track# tag exists, and the Album tag exists. I do this so the Titles sort on my MP3 player, and I can see which Track it is from the Title.

The only way I have figured out how to do it, is to do a "Convert -- Tag - Filename", put "%track%-%album%" as the mask, and temporarily rename the files.

Then, I immediately follow that with a "Convert -- Filename - Tag", and use the "%title%" as the only mask.

The bottom line: I am using the Filename as a temporary location, because I cannot figure out how to go directly from one or more tag values, to another tag. Is it possible, and without re-typing everything each time (that is, be able to pick the masks like I currently do)? Obviously I have to screw up the Filename during this process, but usually I am cleaning up everything anyway, and renaming the files will just be the last thing I do.

Please excuse my ignorance, and many thanks for your help,

G. Huston

You say you spent so much time cleaning up other’s files but yourself insist in destroying the actual titles of songs? Are you sure it’s not just a typo? What you describe would be »throw away the title and replace it with track # and album title«—is that correct?

If you really want to do that, create an Action like this:

New Action Group:
Replace Title by Track-Albumname

New Action:
Format value
Field: TITLE
Format string: $num(%track%,2)-%album%

You could add further actions to destroy data, like

New Action:
Remove Fields:
Fields: TRACK;ALBUM

since they are now in the Title …

Still, I very much advise against destroying original data like that! Better invest in a portable MP3 Player that supports track#, album and title display than regret it later and having to research all the titles manually …
Or at least, only do this to the copy of your originals that you send to the player …

Children: Do not try this at home! Your parents might kill you.

Moonbase,

Thanks for the reply. Right after I posted my question, I investigated creating Actions, and discovered that (as you described) will do the job, and have since created a few to accomplish what I need to do.

To calm your fears, I am not destroying any Tag info; these are usually audio books that typically do not have Titles, per se, probably because they are either recorded CD per audio file, or chopped up later into arificial segments. So, there were no Titles to begin with; I simply made them a little more useful than Titles like "Track 12".

Thanks again, problem solved:

To fix-up the Titles:

[#0]
T=5
F=TITLE
1=%track%-%title%
2=0

[other cleanup actions]

Lastly, to create the final Filename:

[#0]
T=5
F=_FILENAME
1=%album% - %track% - %artist%
2=0

Thanks again,

GHuston

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

If you want track numbers to always display as 2 digits, you might want to use
$num(%track%,2)
instead of just
%track%,
but of course that’s entirely up to you.

Enjoy.