Rating

Everyday I see more tools to keep music files organized. Latest versions of Media Player, Itunes, MediaMonkey... One common thing in all those tools is the capability to store rating information for each piece of music... Which is great... However, ratings I set with any of those tools are not read by the other ones.

Is there any mp3 ID3 tag to store rating information? I fear it doesn't and that it may be the reason for this lack of portability.

In that case, is there any ID3 tag standard enough but useless enough to store there my own ratings... It wouldn't be standard, but at least the information would travel with the mp3 files, so I'll have the same consistent rating, doesn't matter the tool I use.

If the answer to both previous questions is no? Does anybody know any tool or trick to port ratings among Media Player, Itunes and MediaMonkey?

Thanks

According to the ID3v2 specifications, the POPM frame has the following description:

Great! I didn't know that. I'm glad to see there is a standard way to deal with ratings. Thus, I'd like to use it as soon as possible.

How can I set this field from mp3tag?

Does anybody know of any media library software that handles ratings based on this tag? As I mentioned before, I only know that all the software I mentioned cannot interchange rating information, so I guess most of it doesn't use this field at all. With so many media library applications available, I hope some of them do.

I'd like to be sure that if at some point I change my media library application, my ratings will travel with my mp3s and will not be lost.

Sorry, but at the moment it's not possible to create POPM frames with Mp3tag. I'll try to add it to the next release :slight_smile:

Best regards,
~ Florian

Excellent news! Thank you, thank you, thank you :w00t:

Hi Florian,

You said you would try to support POPM frames in the next version of MP3TAG, to facilitate tracking of ratings.

I've downloaded v2.31 but I cannot find this feature. Could you please guide me on where I can find it? Or maybe the feature is not there yet? In that case, are plans to support POPM frames still alive (or ratings, at least) or you have dropped this item from the product roadmap?

Once again, thank you for this wonderful tool!

Yes, this feature is not there yet. I was (and I'm still) very busy with university, so I hardly find free time to develop on Mp3tag these days.

Best regards,
~ Florian

No problem! My main interest was to know if it is still in the plans. :smiley:

I really love mp3tag but my mp3 collection starts to be too big to deal properly with it without rating stuff. There are a zillion mp3 library tools available that can rate mp3s but AFAIK none of them store really the rating info inside the mp3, so when you move to a different computer or need to use a different tool, all info is lost and you must start from scratch. Having this info inside the mp3 file is the only procedure that makes sense to me. Additionally, as I said, I love this tool so I think it would be fantastic to be able to do all the mp3 tasks from it. :music:

If feel better knowing that it is still in the plans, no matter when you are able to work on it. I'll keep checking for new versions from time to time. :book:

I hope you get high marks in the University! :wink:

Mediamonkey writes POPM frames already to the files (at least it's possible).
But the question is if your other programs make use of it.

The current Development Build has basic support for the POPM ID3v2 frame as POPULARIMETER.

Best regards,
~ Florian

where could i find description for the most common tags according to this specifications?

Here on id3.org.

Best regards,
~ Florian