re-naming problem

Hi,

I am new to mp3tag and have found it a really good programme – well done and thank you.

My question is regarding using the file name as the track name. For example if the file name currently uses the album and track name, how do I remove the album name and import the remainder ( the track name) in to the track name field. I have looked up help and have found information on the strings but to be honest I cannot make head or tail of the strings functions (my limitations with this sort of thing). At present I open each cell and copy and paste the names from one cell to another which is a bit laborious.
Also is there a way of selecting a column such as the album name and simply copying the name of the album into all the rows of that column.

Thank you in advance of any help that can be given.

tigger

I assume by the lack of replies that this is either a very neewbie question that no one wants to answer or that no one knows the answer?

tigger

A couple of ways.

If it's a one-time thing and the format that you want for the filename may change, then use Convert > Tag - Filename (or Alt+1 or use the 'red ball over sheet of paper' icon in the toolbar).

Then you might use something like this in the Format string:

$num(%track%,2) - %title% - %artist%

which will give you a filename like

01 - Rainy Days - Mark Solleri

...OR... If your filenames will all be the same, create an Action group.

Use a 'Format value' action. Set the field to _FILENAME, and you use the same sort of format string as above for the value:

$num(%track%,2) - %title% - %artist%

I use a very simple 'Tacknum' 'Title' (and no dashes) formatting for mine:

$num(%track%,2) %title%