Relative file renaming is broken.


#1

I have no idea when this break occurred because I have not used a file rename template like this for a while:

..\%artist%\%album%\%track% - %title%

It definitely did work at some time in the past and I used it from time to time. I thought my files had been wiped from the disk until I ran the same template on my RCA Lyra (Preview only this time!) and found this curious result:

"H:\0403 Seek-Z\Misc\Broadway Classics - 01 - Oklahoma Overture.mp3" ->
"C:\WINDOWS\Various Artists\Broadway Classics\01 - Oklahoma Overture.mp3"

"H:\0403 Seek-Z\Misc\Broadway Classics - 02 - The Imposible Dream.mp3" ->
"C:\WINDOWS\Various Artists\Broadway Classics\02 - The Imposible Dream.mp3"

...

The prebreak result would have been:

"H:\0403 Seek-Z\Misc\Broadway Classics - 01 - Oklahoma Overture.mp3" ->
"H:\0403 Seek-Z\Various Artists\Broadway Classics\01 - Oklahoma Overture.mp3"

"H:\0403 Seek-Z\Misc\Broadway Classics - 02 - The Imposible Dream.mp3" ->
"H:\0403 Seek-Z\Various Artists\Broadway Classics\02 - The Imposible Dream.mp3"

Whew! Then I found the files that disappeared from my D: drive in C:\WINDOWS


Renaming creates subdirectories in only one parent
#2

Rijkstra,

thanks for your feedback!

I've just tested the file renaming with relative directory names and it works fine. The renaming is always based on the current working directory. It's displayed at the title of the main window (if you've enabled the option) and at the directory combo box below the tag input fields.

My guessing is, that the active directory was some folder in C:\Windows and Mp3tag took this as base for the relative renaming.

Best regards,
~ Florian


#3

Actually, C:\WINDOWS never showed up as the active directory anywhere. It's simply the default directory for C:. The change appears to have been that now the program knows which drive I am on!

I believe the problem is that renaming occurs relative to the current working directory. It should be relative to the path that shows in the grid which can vary from file to file. Using your advice on playlists the subdirectories are now created in the parent of the directory that contains the playlist. That's essentially the same problem as before.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this problem.


#4

These excerpts from a playlist should make the problem clear.

D:\Mp3\0304 Pl-Sh\Rick Nelson\Poor Little Fool - 01 - Travelin' Man.mp3
...
D:\Mp3\0304 Pl-Sh\Riders In The Sky\A G B W H - 01 - Wah-Hoo.mp3
...
D:\Mp3\0305 Ga~Johnny\Jerry Murad\Harmonicats - 01 - Peg O' My Heart.mp3
...
D:\Mp3\0305 Ga~Johnny\Jewel\Spirit - 01 - Deep Water.mp3
...
D:\Mp3\0307 Mf-Pk\Pimsleur\Russian - 16 - Russian.mp3

The playlist is located in D:\Mp3, the only parent common to all of these. The only way I can force it to work is by putting the directory's parent in the an unused field and renaming thus:

%genre%\%artist%\%album%\%track% - %title%

After pulling in the parent's name:

%genre%\%dummy%\%dummy%

A %filepath% variable would eliminate the populating of a field.

You have these only:

%_filename_ext% Filename (current working directory is used as filepath)
%_path% Filename with full filepath

What is needed is a variable to extract the path as shown on the grid, preferrably without the trailing backslash to make the template more readable:

%filepath%\%album%\%track% - %title%

Instead of the above kludge.