"Release Date" in iTunes??

Hi-

I'm new to mp3tag, but not digital music. I am trying to figure out how to separately populate the "Release Date" field in iTunes - searching the forum here (and elsewhere) has yielded incomplete results. Some have suggested that it is populated from the "RELEASETIME" field, from the extended tags menu (using YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssZ format). Others have added that this only works for mp3 files.

A purchased AAC track from the Apple store indeed uses the "YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssZ" format, but it is entered into the year field; this populates the full date into "Release Date" and just YYYY into "Year"

I would like to have separate data for the "Year" and "Release Date" in iTunes. Is this possible?? Thank you!

See the list of fields and their user-friendly names: https://docs.mp3tag.de/mapping
The problem is: there is no field "Release Date".
There are only 2 fields for such a time coordinate: YEAR and RELEASETIME.

If you want to get the first 4 digits into the field YEAR, you could try an action of the type "Format value" for YEAR
Format string: $left(%releasetime%,4)

thanks very much. i see what you mean- so, in short, there is no way to separately populate the "release date" field in itunes with a different value from the "year" field? correct?

thanks again!

Ahm - no...
If you know what the field is called, then you can write more less any data to it.
The problem I see: as there is not standard field for "Releasedate", you would get a user-defined field which iTunes most likely will not display.
So what you need is some kind of template a file that has the "Releasedate" already set.
For this file, open the extended tags dialogue (Alt-T) and see which name that field has.
You then can use that name for the other files and hopefully, iTunes picks it up.