Remove Artwork and filesize stays the same

I have about 10,000 tracks in my collection and decided to add artwork into every mp3 file (previously it was just sitting in the folder as folder.jpg).

Mp3tag made the experience totally painless...setup an action to 'import cover from file'. What a beautiful product.

Every file size increased after adding the artwork and now my collection filespace is enormous. I decided to remove the artwork to see if this would bring the filesize back down but it has no effect at all on any of the files. I had hoped that by removing the artwork tag the size would decrease, at least some.

Example:

Original file - 1,594,091 bytes

After adding artwork - 1,654,557 bytes

After removing artwork - 1,654,557 bytes

Is there no way to reclaim the space that the artwork tag added to every one of my mp3 files?

Thanks!

Actually I do not see any way to remove the padding. Or you could cut and paste all tags which then rewrites the file completly

But would it be worth it?

Up there you gave the example that the file has the size of app. 5000 bytes.
If this is a decent size in all of your 10,000 tracks then you would gain

50,000,000 bytes,

right? Or roughly 50 MB.
As the music file has some 1.5 MB it would be much more efficient to remove just 30 of the duplicates to geht the same saving. Much more efficient than rewriting 10,000 files.

Thanks for the response...I think my math is a little different though. The difference between the two file sizes is 60,000 bytes which times 10,000 tracks is 600 meg. However, I don't understand your last statement about duplicates:

"As the music file has some 1.5 MB it would be much more efficient to remove just 30 of the duplicates to get the same saving. Much more efficient than rewriting 10,000 files."

Do you think it would be better to remove duplicate tags?

Thanks again - I do find it kind of amazing that there is no way to recoup the space that is available.

Oh, well, maths.

The before-and-after-question is a little tricky to answer.
E.g. if the original file had V1 tags stored at the front - and you then added V2.3 information e.g. the cover picture or an albumartist then information and you write both, V1&V2 tags then information would be stored at the beginning and at the end of the file.
So I guess that the only way would be to fall back to V1 tags which should cut the superfluous tag information from the end. Resorting to V1 tags also removes all other non-V2-tags like custom genres and composers. Depending on the collection and tagging requirements one should carefully evaluate whether some more bytes of free disc space are more precious than the labour that went into the tags.

The "duplicates" do not refer to any kind of duplicate tags but simply come from the assumption that a collection of 10000 tracks must have at least some duplicates. So, tidying up the collection might lead to a much better result (just a hint, not a fact).