Remove ID3v1 ?

Firstly thanks for the work put into making the software. I'm new to using it but it seems to be exactly what I need to tidy up my music collection.

I have files that have all sorts of tags, including some that are labelled as "!Bad". My first thought was to make all the existing tags ID3v2.4 before eventually making sure the data within the tags is correct.

I have tested this and found that a file without a tag becomes
ID3v2.4 (ID3v2.4)

but others become
ID3v2.4 (ID3v1 ID3v2.4)

is there any downside to keeping ID3v1 as well?
is there any downside to removing the ID3v1?

how would i go about making them purely ID3v2.4? ie what settings exactly? I ticked the option Remove ID3v1 but that doesnt seem to work in the conversion....nevermind i got to this part of the question and went back and worked it out.

This depends a lot on your settings of MP3tag. See Tools>Options>Tags>Mpeg for that.
Please note that V2.4 tags are not read by all programs properly. E.g. Windows Explorer and WMP frequently have difficulties with them.
The V2.3 UTF-16 version is the more widely spread one.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah my confusion for removing ID3v1 stemmed from that page also having "remove" option boxes which I assumed would happen automatically. I worked out I had to actually "save" then "remove" to do what I wanted. newbie mistake and I understand why it should be two steps as it gives users flexibility.

Yeah I figure I will use the newest standard because I'm unlikely to repeat the process once there is better support for it. Hopefully my gear can handle it. If I encounter too many problems it doesn't seem much effort to go back from v2.4 to v2.3

I'm curious how the incompatibility with v2.4 exhibits. are there perhaps unsupported tags or is it complete lack of info if it cant support?