Remove Tags + OGG files

Hello,

I like MP3tag and have been using it for quite some time. I decided today to clean up my MP3 collection and mass-remove all the obsolete ID3v1 tags via the Files> Remove Tags option. It worked perfectly... except that it wiped out all my Vorbis comments as well. Years of tagging have disappeared in a couple of seconds. Needless to say, I was quite annoyed (to remain polite).

I'd like to know how to prevent MP3tag from removing Vorbis comments when it's not supposed to. I triple-checked the Tags options, there is no setting to block Vorbis comment removal. Since there was no option related to Vorbis, I naively thought MP3tag wouldn't touch my OGG files, but obviously I was wrong.

Any insightful help would be much appreciated so it doesn't happen again. Thanks in advance.

:mt_delete: Remove tags removes tags from files. Since Ogg Vorbis files only contain Vorbis Comments, there is no special options page for that.

Did you notice the Mpeg part in Options > Tags > Mpeg? And there is always :mt_undo: Edit > Undo (as long as you don't close the application instance).

Yes, but my point was that a Vorbis page with some general options (Read: yes/no, Write: yes/no, Remove: yes/no) would nevertheless be very useful when using the Remove Tags global function.

Right now, the only way to prevent MP3tag from blindly deleting the Vorbis comments when using the Remove Tags global function is to temporarily delete the .ogg extension in Options > Tags > Restricting Incoming Files. Not very practical.

Of course, and I understand how to use it, but what does it have to do with Vorbis?

Thanks anyway for your help.

Nothing. That's what I was trying to say.

BTW, you can create a new column for the file extension (%_extension%) or the tag types (%_tag%) to sort your files prior to remove the tags.

Best regards,
~ Florian

Good idea. Actually, I could simply sort the files with the Codec column as well. That should work for me next time. Thanks again, Florian.