Removing a disc and track number

I have been trawling through the forum and have come across the same query from other people.....

The trouble is, I really don't understand how to solve it!!

My files currently read like this......01-02 eight days a week.mp3

All i want them to read is......'eight days a week.mp3' without the disc and track number.

I'm trying to load them into Denon DJ Music Manger software to eventually play on a Denon DN-HS5500 player.

I keep reading posts that refer people back to this post;

Remove/trim leading track numbers

Action type: Replace with regular expressions
Regular expression: ^\s*\d+\s*-\s*
Replace matches with:

This regular expression removes the track number from "01 - Anything.." so that only "Anything..." remains.
"^" matches the beginning of the string. Then any numbers of whitespaces "\s*" followed by numbers from 0-9.
The \s*-\s* part removes the hyphen and any whitespace characters around it.

TROUBLE IS, THATS WAY OVER MY HEAD, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME A STEP BY STEP WAY OF DOING THIS PLEASE ?

For the case you've described you will need a different regular expression ^\s*\d+-\d+\s*
that can do the change for you automatically ...

from
"01-02 eight days a week.mp3"
to
"eight days a week.mp3"
or 
from
"   01-02       eight days a week.mp3" 
(if this would ever be allowed to be a regular filename ...)
to
"eight days a week.mp3"

Use a Mp3tag action dialog of type "Replace using Regular Expression" and fill in the dialog fields with the appropriately data.

Actiontype 4: Replace with regular expression
Field: _FILENAME
Regular expression: ^\s*\d+-\d+\s*
Replace matches with:

[_] Case sensitive comparison

Run this action against the selected tracks which you want to change.

DD.20100217.1006.CET

Thanks so much for replying, however i still can't get it to work and am now pulling my hair out.......

This is what I'm doing......

Actions (Quick)
Dropdown menu....'replace with regular expression'
Then it gives you 3 boxes to fill......
Box 1......FILENAME (from drop down menu)
Box 2...... ^\s*\d+-\d+\s* (regular expression)
Box 3..... leaving blank or do i put in [
]

Its actually the 'TITLE' I'm trying to change not the filename, this is the name thats displayed on my Denon DNHS 5500 player.

Please help me !!!

Actually you see a dialog window with four dialog boxes.
EditListBox
EditBox
EditBox
CheckBox

The textual representation of the dialog I gave you here in the forum tries to mimic the dialog window to help inexperienced users to facilitate the operation.

I've painted a picture for you to show you this and that and to facilitate the transfer of what has to be read by you ...

In the textual representation of the dialog I've left the places empty where nothing has to be entered. Well, I could write a symbolic placeholder like or something else into the empty places, but I am sure, afterwards some user will ask if he or she should enter the text into the edit box.

In your initial posting you wrote:

This indicates to manipulate the filename by using Mp3tag's internal system variable _FILENAME.

In your previous posting you wrote:

In this case you can transfer what is already shown onto the new situation.
If you want to manipulate the content of the TITLE tag field, then use this tag field name.

DD.20100218.0922.CET

I did as you said yet it still does not work.

I highlight the file, right click converet, click action, check the newly created action, click "ok" and a box pops up saying "Formatted tags in 0 of 1 files. o of 1 files renamed.

There might be something unusual in your situation.
Please run the following export script against this particular file and post back the result.

$filename(Mp3tag.tagdump.col.txt,ANSI)$loop(%_path%)'^'
'_MD5AUDIO:'''%_md5audio%''
'_MD5:'''%_md5%''
'_PATH:'''%_path%''
$regexp($regexp($list(,':''',''$char(13)'_'$char(10)),'\r\n','U+000DU+000A'),'\r_\n','\r\n')'$'

$loopend()

DD.20100222.2338.CET

QUOTE (DetlevD @ Feb 22 2010, 23:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There might be something unusual in your situation.

Please run the following export script against this particular file and post back the result.

$filename(Mp3tag.tagdump.col.txt,ANSI)$loop(%_path%)'^'
'_MD5AUDIO:'''%_md5audio%''
'_MD5:'''%_md5%''
'_PATH:'''%_path%''
$regexp($regexp($list(,:'',''$char(13)_$char(10)),\r\n,U+000DU+000A),\r_\n,\r\n)'$'

$loopend()

DD.20100222.2338.CET

Thanks but I don't know how to do that?

I gave you a ready made tool to analyze your problem. Sadly you cannot use it.
You have to be somewhat familiar with Mp3tag on a basic level to use and understand the offered assistance.

Please read the help file section "Export tag and file information" and "Configuration, Export." and browse the "Export" forum /c/export and do not forget to try it out for yourself to run an export script.

You need somewhat basic skills in using a texteditor, in this particular case you need to know how to copy and paste some textlines from the Webbrowser forum window into an enpty text editor window and save this new export script as a file to disk. Afterwards you can run this export file from the Mp3tag Export dialog.

The script will give an overview of all tag fields in the file, so that we possible can see, where the problem lies.

Maybe there is a spelling error somewhere in the process or otherwise something as simple.

DD.20100223.0024.CET

To freshen up this old thread ...
... removing a disc and track number from the left side of the filename.

Use an action of type "Format value". Field: _FILENAME Formatstring: $trimLeft(%_filename%,'0123456789- ') From: '01-02 eight days a week.mp3' To: 'eight days a week.mp3' ... but ... From: '01-02 8 days a week.mp3' To: 'days a week.mp3' $cutLeft(%_filename%,6) From: '01-02 eight days a week.mp3' To: 'eight days a week.mp3' $regexp(%_filename%,'^\s*\d+\s*\-\s*\d+\s*',) From: '01-02 eight days a week.mp3' To: 'eight days a week.mp3' ... or ... From: ' 01 - 02 eight days a week.mp3' To: 'eight days a week.mp3'

DD.20110311.1325.CET

Removing track numbers in the file name