Renaming: Create grouping directories of 3 letters

Hi Forum,
I have so many Artist folders that I want to group them to have a better overview in the car.

e.g. Music\ABC\ABBA... or Music\DEF\Deichkind...

without grouping it is easy:

Music\%artist%...

But does MP3tag offer a solution to generate the ABC or DEF folders depending on the first letter of the artist?

Media Monkey for example offers that functionality using artist@n (n is 3 in this case)

Back 2010 there was a similar a request in the German section - perhaps you can do something with gnor's code
http://forums.mp3tag.de/lofiversion/index.php?t11229.html

In the example the steps were a-b c-d which led to $div($left(%artist,1),2)
So perhaps if you want a step width of 3, you would have to replace the 2s with 3s:

$char($sub($mul($div($add($ord($left($upper(%artist%),1)),1),2),2),1))-$char($mul($div($add($ord($left($upper(%artist%),1)),1),2),2))

Modify this to your needs ...

$ifgreater($strchr('0123456789',$left(%ARTIST%,1)),0,'0 - 9', $ifgreater($strchr('ABCDEabcde',$left(%ARTIST%,1)),0,'A - E', $ifgreater($strchr('FGHIJKfghijk',$left(%ARTIST%,1)),0,'F - K', $ifgreater($strchr('LMNOPQRlmnopqr',$left(%ARTIST%,1)),0,'L - R', $ifgreater($strchr('STUVWXYZstuvwxyz',$left(%ARTIST%,1)),0,'S - Z','Special')))))

See also ...
Export to custom playlist
/t/9954/1

DD.20150622.2202.CEST

I especially like the idea, Ohrenkino presented here but I decided to take the second suggestion to be more flexible.

This is my Version (like letters on a phone):

$ifgreater($strchr('ABCabc',$left(%albumartist%,1)),0,'ABC',
$ifgreater($strchr('DEFdef',$left(%albumartist%,1)),0,'DEF',
$ifgreater($strchr('GHIghi',$left(%albumartist%,1)),0,'GHI',
$ifgreater($strchr('JKLjkl',$left(%albumartist%,1)),0,'JKL',
$ifgreater($strchr('MNOmno',$left(%albumartist%,1)),0,'MNO',
$ifgreater($strchr('PQRSpqrs',$left(%albumartist%,1)),0,'PQRS',
$ifgreater($strchr('TUVtuv',$left(%albumartist%,1)),0,'TUV',
$ifgreater($strchr('WXYZwxyz',$left(%albumartist%,1)),0,'WXYZ','0-9'))))))))

thanks for your replies!

Neat idea for an action.