renaming of files

i am setting up my music collection to have the right tags stored in each file, and this program (mp3tag) is maybe the best.
is it possible to rename files with an action?
i would like to rename all the files in my collection like this:
%artist%\%year% - %album%$num(%track%,2) - %title%
and i'm not able to rename files that way doing an action (i use the action to do other tasks on tags and filename (codepage italian, all lowercase, etc.)
somebody helps me?
:huh:

Marco.

Hi Marco,

you can do this via

Action type: Format value
Field: _FILENAME
Formatstring: %artist%\%year% - %album%$num(%track%,2) - %title%

Kind regards,
Florian

yes i found that...
now i can rename & tag my whole collection with just two or three click per album... or maybe, i think.
i also made the action rename the directory almost in the same way.

thank you for your help!

Marco.

I'm not sure what I doing wrong but I am a new user trying to convert all of the files names in a directory and have tried both the Convert Tag - Filename & Action commands and they both will only change the first file. Both times, the process stopped because it tries to rename the 2nd file using the title from the first file.

I solved the problem, in playing around with different commands, somehow I updated all of the Titles to the same value. The Filenames were different but I screwed up the tags.

i am not sure i've understood if yours was a question or an answer... however finally i have renamed and re-tagged almost my whole collection. there are some little problems left:
in fact if you rename a directory it just create a second directory and the old one is left here, empty.
so i have to find and remove manually the empty directories...

You can actually rename directories:

Action type: Format value
Field: _DIRECTORY
Formatstring: %artist%\%year% - %album%

This renames the directory of the selected file to %artist% and creates a subfolder %year% - %album% and puts the files there.

There's also a small command line tool that removes empty directories called RmEmpty

Now I am having trouble with the renaming actions. I have songs in a generic directory and with a singular action I want to rename the files and rename the directory. I think that I had it set up correctly but what happens is that my structure ends up being like this:
New Folder\Artist\year-album\track 1.
New Folder\Artist\Artist\year-album\track 2-whatever.

So you see that track one ends up how I want it, but the remaining tracks are going several levels deep. Here is the action code I have.

_Directory %artist%\%year% - %album%
_Filename $num(%track%,2) - %title%

I have also tried

_Directory %artist%\%year% - %album%$num(%track%,2) - %title%

Any help is appreciated. I have looked throughout the forums and can find no help.

Thanks

Well if you have files from different albums and artists in one big folder, you don't want to rename that folder, but create new folders for each album.
You should do what was advised in Post #2 or else you will be renaming the same folder again and again.

I only have one album in the folder. i start off with C:\mP3s\new folder\tracks 1-whatever. i want to rename that directory the correct way but it ends up with the same album being split into multiple directories like i posted up above. i do not want that. post #2 is fine for creating a directory, but on my drive i have some folders that need to be renamed and i would like to save a step by doing this in one action. In the same way that tuxnowar was referring to:

"i also made the action rename the directory almost in the same way."

Ok now I could test it

Both together does not work, it comes out as you say.
You currently must use
_Directory %artist%\%year% - %album%
without filename changing.

Thanks for your help. maybe something can be done to fix this in the future. although it may be minor, it could help out some people.

Hello,
I'm trying to do something very similar, except that I want the year to be in brackets. I tried it with just typing the brackets -- [%year%], with preceding back-slashes -- [%year%], and with quotes -- "["%year%"]"; but in each case, the brackets were ignored. Any ideas?

Also is it possible to reformat an artist's name to "Last, First" rather than "First Last"?

Thanks much for this great program, by the way!

'['%year%']'

DD.20080313.1939.CET

Thanks!!

I'm puzzled. How can _FILENAME accept folder name %artist%??