Renaming Song Titles?

Hi folks,

I would like to remove all of the elongated texts (from song titles) containing 'opus' type references. Such tags are limited to my Classical music section.

I have tried to do so using mp3tage but to no avail. Is there a unique procedure for this specific type of edit, please?

Many thanks in advance . . .

Best,

Paul David Seaman

From the title tag, or filename, or both? Is it all text in brackets, or select pieces? A few actual examples can help.

1 Like

Hi Motley,

I am able to remove the 'opus' type names from the ALBUM field using mp3tag, no problem.

But for some reason the s/w does not want to remove them from the title of each song/track?

Should I be choosing FILENAME (in mp3tag) to process this particular command, please?

Thanks a lot.

To create a new filename, use "Format value".
Yet, the filename is not the TITLE.
What does a typical title look like and with what

did you go about it?
I mean, if you have fixed string, as you suggest with the "Replace" action, then I assume this works only for 1 specific file.
If, on the other hand, you have a pattern like "Remove everything starting with an opening bracket and the word "Hob", then you could use "Replace with regular expression" and treat all the files in 1 go that follow this pattern.

On a sidenote: deleted data is very hard to get back.
If you do not want the opus and stuff in the title, why not move it to another field e.g. WORK?
Like that you don't see it in the title any more but you still keep the data if you need it in the future.

1 Like

There is a difference between the TITLE and _FILENAME fields. The title is the name of the song, whereas the filename is what the OS sees in the drive folder. They do not have to be, and are most often not the same.

So if you truly intend to make changes to the title, then that is the tag field you need to focus on. There may be no need to change the file name, unless you are making updates to your preferred directory structure. But if you do want to make those filename changes changes, I would do so after all of your other fields have been updated to what you want them to be. Then you can use these fields to build your new Directory/Filename as desired.

1 Like

Hi ohrenkino,

I used Illustrate's dB-Poweramp s/w to create all of my CD rips and tagging.

As you can see, in the below example of a Bach CD, I have a "(BWV#)" after each song title (I, regrettably, manually added these in when I ripped each CD a few years back). For other composers this suffix may be an 'Opus' or 'Hob' number "(Op.#)" / "(Hob.#)" So the principle is the same. I just need to delete all of these suffixes in the song-title field. As I say, I am quite able to remove them from the ALBUM field.

I don't mind if I have to process them album by album, composer by composer, or have the tools to remove them all in a single hit. I just want them to be gone! :+1:

Paul

To remove the BWV# try an action of the type "replace with regular expression" for TITLE
Search string: \s*\(BWV\s*\d+\)
Replace with:
(leave empty)

This should work for all TITLEs with that pattern, even if they don't belong to 1 album

You could filter for these files with
%title% MATCHES BWV\s*\d+

1 Like

Hi ohrenkino,

Well, I definitely do not want to retain any of this particular data (the date you mention as per "work"), thanks. I'll really be glad to see the back of it! I don't know what possessed me at the time?

It takes about 2 minutes for such elongated titles to scroll in-full across the display panel! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Paul

The ALBUM is a little different to the TITLE as it shows a number range:
But if there are several albums that show the pattern, you can process them in 1 go:
An action of the type "Replace with regular expression" for ALBUM
Search string: \s*\(BWV\s*\d+-\d+\)
Replace with:
(leave empty)

1 Like

Opus_6

1 Like

AMAZING, ohrenkino!

That really worked. Thank you so much. I would honestly have never been able to work that out!

Greatly appreciated I can absolutely promise you.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Motley,

Sorry I missed your kind response.

I'll get back to you later. . .

Many thanks. :+1:

1 Like

Great. Thank you for the confirmation.

For the other patterns it would be useful to see a screendump of another typical title that also shows the part that should be removed.

1 Like

No probs, chat later . . . Paul

ohrenkino,

Bela Bartok tracks use: (Sz.)

I just modified your excellent string and it successfully deleted this article. :+1:

Paul

Opus_8

Hi Motley,

Oh that's great info, thanks. I did not realise the distinction between TITLE and _FILENAME. Very interesting and helpful. :+1:

Yes, at the moment I am only concerned with editing the SONG TITLE and ALBUM fields. Directory (_FILENAME) fields is something that may, or may not, be modified in the future.

To be honest, one of the main reasons I am on this current mission is because I have around 50 CDs of which I purchased during lockdown. I have been putting off and putting off ripping them for far too long now. Reason being, as you will realise, I was in a bit of a tiswas over the best way forward in correcting my current 600 CDs library. But anyway, I'm back on track now, thanks.

Paul