Right click menu activation fails for Microsoft Store version v3.13

Hi, I've been using MP3Tag a lot lately. Very handy tool! Then all of a sudden it stopt working properly; I select the audio files, right click on them, and choose the Mp3tag option from the menu. Now I get the message:"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropiate permissions to access the item." and points to the Winapps position. Of course I can open the program, go to the prefered directory and work from there. Bur the right-click-menu option doesn't work any more. I tried reïnstalling but to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks.

1 Like

And? Do you have sufficient access rights to access the program?
Do you run MP3tag under the same user-id with which you installed it?
Who is the owner of the files that you want to access?
Do you have a standard installation or a portable one? (See Help>About for this information)
Which OS do you use?

Yes I am administrator. Yes same id. I'm the owner of the files. Standard installation on Wondows 10 Home edition. Like I said it was working fine and all of a sudden it didn't.

This sounds like something has changed locally.
So: what else did you install in the meantime?
If the OS says that you do not have sufficient access rights then I would take that serious and investigate the cause.
And you would have to find out also what Windows thinks who the owner is.
And: these are OS messages and MP3tag is only the messenger who relies on the OS environment.

OK thanks for your reply

That sounds frustrated.
The most radical approach would be to uninstall everything from MP3tag - including the data folder and then try a fresh and new install.
You only have to make sure that really all traces of the old installation are gone.
So a check in the explorer contect menu would be good thing prior to the new install.
If you still find MP3tag as shell extension, then something has gone wrong.
(Like mixing a standard and a portable installation or so).
I am not quite sure of how to proceed then as a registry clean up or whatever is necessary then is not within the scope of MP3tag.

Have you tried the usual assortment of things like a full system reboot, copying some files to a separate drive and/or folder to test, etc? Having something like this coming up that seems to have come suddenly is understandably very frustrating. I am sure there is a fix once you can identify the actual change that happened to cause this issue.

Seeing the same after updating v3.12 to v3.13 via Microsoft Store in Windows 10 today -- anything I try to use the Mp3tag context menu on results in this dialog:

[Window Title]
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\35795FlorianHeidenreich.Mp3tag_3.13.0.0_x86__rf0p6xgxmspcc\Mp3tag.exe

[Content]
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

[OK]

When I try to go into that WindowsApps folder via Explorer:

[Window Title]
WindowsApps

[Main Instruction]
You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

[Content]
Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder.

[Continue] [Cancel]

And if I click Continue:

[Window Title]
WindowsApps

[Main Instruction]
You have been denied permission to access this folder.

[Content]
To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab.

[Close]

Tried uninstalling (context menu item was indeed removed, good) then reinstalling via Windows Store, running as Admin and unsetting/resetting context menu option, restarting Explorer several times, nothing helps. :cry:

Everything worked fine yesterday (and many days before) using Microsoft Store v3.12.

Not seeing a way to roll back via Microsoft Store.

Update:
The regular v3.13 installer works as expected (no surprise).
Saw a thread for an issue related to Win11 where a Repair helped, so uninstalled and reinstalled via MS Store one last time to try a Repair, didn't help. Going back to regular 3.13 via installer.

I can now reproduce this and will try to find out what's causing this. Thanks for pointing and I'll keep you posted.

1 Like

Microsoft just approved the submission for Mp3tag v3.14, which should fix the problem. Would be great if anyone could confirm.

1 Like

Yep, context menu is working again in v3.14 from Microsoft Store! Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for confirming the fix!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.