Saving 'Tag Panel' customisations, or including in 'Save Configuration' option

It's nowhere near as involving to setup your Tag Panel customisations with a new install, as it is to redefine your customised Actions. Still, it would be nice if I knew of a way to save these options. Does anybody know how to do this, or have any advice?

Having the Tag Panel customisations included in the Save Configuration option would be nice.

Tag panel settings are saved in the usrfields.ini file. This file is also saved via "File > Save configuration".

This is all fine and dandy, but how does one 'recall" a specific configuration?

-d2b-

There is no such facility. I've never quite understood how you create a 'Save configuration' without also implementing a 'Load' (or Restore) configuration, but I imagine it was just a quick and dirty way of providing a means of doing an Mp3tag backup. I doubt that it was ever intended to be used for saving different configurations.

To load a configuration you would just unzip a saved zip file to the application's data directory while Mp3tag is not running. On my Win7 system the application data is stored at:

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Mp3tag

Mp3tag's 'save configuration' simply zips this entire directory into a single file, so all you'd do is unzip the saved file into the same directory, overwriting existing files and using the internal subfolder names. If you have several different configurations that you use, it would be fairly easy to script this using a command-line unzip program.

There certainly good reasons for wanting to run what amounts to different 'instances' of mp3tag: Different projects may require different file formats, different libraries, different mapping requirements, a different tag panel, different Action Items and scripts, different export format setups, different default directories and so on.

It would be really useful to be able to 'recall' a configuration on the fly from within mp3tag, or at least select from a list when launching the application.

For example, our main library for our radio station is based the FLAC file format, but another user library might be based on quick-and-dirty mp3 downloads or robot CD rips. Managing the different types of libraries would use different mp3tag configurations.

-d2b-