Shortcut to load current folder

Can anyone tell me what to put in the Target and "Start in" of an XP Windows Explorer shortcut to launch mp3tag and load whatever tracks are in whatever is the shortcut's folder at that time?

Thanks.

What do you mean by "whatever is the shortcut's folder at that time"? A shortcut is just a file in a folder, so wouldn't typically be moved around.

How would you want to use this?

The tracks I want loaded are those in the folder containing the shortcut at the time the shortcut is launched.

Then this application is not typical.

1. Click the shortcut
  2. see Mp3tag launch and load the tracks in the shortcut's directory.

I don't know ... does windows allow to set an application as default for folders?
I doubt that as windows identifies differnt types by teh extension. Or by the desktop.ini file.

What you can do, though, is open a single file in a folder with the extension in the explorer context menu (this opens just the one file), then click into the tag panel's directory input box and press enter again. This would then load all the files in the folder.
Even easier would be to d&d the folder from the explorer into MP3tag.

Do you know any application that opens all suitable files in a folder even after you have selected only a single file?

A cmd/bat file could do it.

Normally, I would do it like this ...

Create a shortcut ... "Mp3tag Shortcut"
Target ... Mp3tag.exe /fp:.
Start in ... %CD%

... but Mp3tag does not recognize the given dot parameter to be the current working folder, which is given by the "start in" directive.

Mp3tag's error message reflects, that it is informed of the "start in" working folder, but it cannot use or access the given folderpath.
Maybe Mo3tag cannot handle relative pathnames as part of its commandline parameter argument?

DD.20121010.2137.CEST

Mp3tag's directory handling has always been strange. When the EXE is run without a command-line parameter, then it loads either:

1. the Favorite Directory, if the "start from this directory" is checked
  2. the last directory used, if it still exists
  3. the Mp3tag program directory

I'd guess that probably 9 out of 10 Windows programs would simply use the current directory. I'm not sure what Mp3tag is trying to accomplish here, but it's reminiscent of the recent problems with the handling of the cover art folder.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe" /fp:<some_folder>

appears to be equivalent to just

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe" <some_folder>

You can use a simple batch file (and a shortcut to the batch file - leave "Start in" blank), but the console window will remain open:

@echo off
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe" "%cd%"

Here's a way to do it without a console window: Create a VBS script (with file extension .vbs).

Set shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
shell.Run """C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe"" """ & shell.CurrentDirectory & """", 0, True

Then create your shortcut pointing at this script, with something like the following.

Target: wscript.exe "C:\scripts\mp3tag.vbs"
Start in:

(In the VBS script, use the correct path to the Mp3tag EXE. The above is the default location on Windows 7.)

I too could not get that to work.

So I'll stick with the batch file I am currently using:

"%~dp0Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe" /fn "%~dp0"

JJJ, this doesn't leave the console window open here, on XP.

Thanks all for the suggestions.