Shortcut top open files in current directory

What is the Target property of a Windows Explorer shortcut to run Mp3tag and load the current directory?

Or must one use a batch file?

It may be that I do not understand correctly, therefore I try to divide the problem into several steps.

A. Your local position is within a folder, which holds some mp3 files.
While standing in this folder you want to load this folder into Mp3tag, will say with all the files, also including one or more possible subfolder trees (?).
The context menu of a file offers a "Mp3tag" menu item.

1. When invoking this menu option, then this one selected file will be loaded into Mp3tag.
  2. After selecting a group of files or all files by [Ctrl+A] within this folder, when invoking the context menu item "Mp3tag", then Mp3tag opens with all the selected files loaded.
    I do not know where the limit is regarding the full amount of selected files (filepathnames).

B. Your local position is within a folder, which holds some mp3 files, you want to load this folder into Mp3tag, will say with all the files, also including one or more possible subfolder trees (?)..
Change your position into the parent folder, select the folder, use the context menu and invoke Mp3tag, which will load the folder, when given with it's subfoldertree.

C. Your local position is within a folder, which holds some mp3 files, you want to load this folder into Mp3tag.
Select one file, invoke the context menu option "Mp3tag", so Mp3tag opens with this one file in listview.
Then apply the Mp3tag tool "Load this folder in Mp3tag" against this file.
This tool is defined as ..
Name: Load this &folder in Mp3tag
Path: Mp3tag.exe>
Parameter: '/fp:"'%_folderpath%'"'

DD.20140901.1751.CEST

Thanks for the suggestions, but all are specific to the single Mp3tag.exe referenced by the registry whereas the reason I asked about a shortcut is that can reference the particular portable .exe I need. So my scenario is:

D. My local position is in a folder. which holds some mp3 files. While in this folder I want to launch a given Mp3tag.exe (at a given location) loading all the files in the current directory.

How should the local system know anything about non-referenced applications?
What you can do, is to start a local installation into the folder on the portable device.
This sets the required pointers.

If you use a genuinely portable installation you have to revert to d&d from the explorer.

The given examples refer not to the registry, but to the install path of Mp3tag, which is the home folder of the Mp3tag.exe to be invoked.
Because a shortcut file can be located at and invoked from any place in the system, the shortcut definition needs the location information in order to invoke the application from the right place.

Do it. The challenge is to tell Mp3tag to open the folderpath, which is given by the selected file.

DD.20140902.1041.CEST

My portable installations of Mp3tag are not "non-referenced". They are referenced by the Target field of the shortcuts that launch them. These shortcuts works fine. What I am asking is how I can make one of them get that launch to also load the files in its directory, as is possible using a batch file.

The give examples (A,B,C) refer to the registry through "invoke the context menu option "Mp3tag"".

Agreed. That location information is the exe path in Target and works fine.

The reason I am asking here is that I can't find a way to open that folderpath - in the Target field that specifies the Mp3tag exe.

Ah, yes, when using the explorer context menu, the system should have any knowledge, what to do with the selected file and the particular filename extension.
This is guaranteed by the file and folder handler, installed by Mp3tag setup (???).

So you want a shortcut symbol on the desktop, where you can drop one media file onto?
Then this shortcut should open the anywhere located other Mp3tag.exe and ...
load all the files and subfolders out of the same folder from the file, which has been dropped onto the shortcut?

Once you have dropped the media file onto the shortcut, the shortcut should invoke the dedicated Mp3tag.exe using the parameter /fp:.

This needs the given filepathname splitted into folderpath and filename.
In a DOS batchfile you would do it like this: given parameter is "%1", drive with folderpath is "%~dp1".

For some reason Mp3tag ...

• cannot isolate the path component from the given filepath
  • treats parameter "/fp:" the same as "/fn:"
    ... then loads the one given file but not the entire folder.

Maybe I am totally wrong with the description of the situation, ...
and the following workaround is not necessary.

Create a cmd script file, ...
name it as you will, e. g. "My2ndMp3tag.cmd",
store it where you want.

@ECHO OFF
ECHO.Launching 2ndMp3tag.exe ...
IF EXIST "%~dp1" (
PUSHD "%~dp1"
START "2nd Mp3tag" /MIN "<your folderpath here>Mp3tag.exe" /fp:.\.
) ELSE (
ECHO.Cannot access folder ...
ECHO."%~dp1"
PAUSE
)
EXIT /B

On the desktop create a shortcut to this cmd file, name it as you will, e. g. "2nd Mp3tag":
Choose a proper icon of your wish or grab it from the Mp3tag.exe.
Target: Filepath to the stored cmd file.
Comment: Launch 2nd Mp3tag
Size: Minimized

How to use?
Drag one media file onto the shortcut icon.
The 2nd Mp3tag should load the folder where this file is located.

Copy the shortcut file to the folder "SendTo".
Rename the shortcut file as you will.
Give it a comment as you will.

Invoke this shortcut via context menu "SendTo" of one media file, from within the folder to be loaded in Mp3tag.

DD.20140902.1915.CEST

No. As I said, I want a "shortcut to run Mp3tag and load the current directory". Current directory being the one holding the shortcut.

I know how to do it with a batch file, thanks. Hence my "Or must one use a batch file?"

It seems I do not understand your situation.
The shortcut in the current folder?
Into each folder, which might be the current one, in the course of time?
This sounds weird.

Like I said, there's a problem with Mp3tag and the commandline parameter "/fp:".
That is the only reason why my proposal uses a batch file to circumvent this problem.
Without this trouble, a shortcut to a 2nd Mp3tag.exe can be created easily.
I assume the 2nd app should be or must be installed out of scope from the 1st Mp3tag.exe.
I do expect problems, when both applications share the same application related folders (Mp3tag appdata).
Well, I did not try the whole experiment on my machine.
Maybe a standard installed Mp3tag and a portable Mp3tag can work together on the same machine?
Someone should check it out.

Now I have a shortcut in the SendTo folder, which can start Mp3tag from any place in the system, loading the folder of the selected file or selected folder.

DD.20140903.0747.CEST

Yes.

OK, then I shall go with the batch file solution. Thanks.

Yes they do. I have a separate portable install for each project, configured with columns, actions, exports etc. specific to that project.

OK, and what is the problem please?
Create a shortcut in this folder, which opens the 2nd app ...
Target: <filepath to the 2nd>Mp3tag.exe /fp:..

DD.20140903.1427.CEST

No problem. Just the question.

A problem with that http://i.imgur.com/Z8gnLFq.png is it launches the app, but fails to load the files in the directory http://i.imgur.com/s228NIp.png .

Because you want to open the application in the same folder where this shortcut resides, leave the parameter "Start in:" empty.

Now you've got me actually forced to click on these images host.
I would rather donate the clicks to Mp3tag.

DD.20140903.1535.CEST

Oh dear! I should have spotted that. Thanks D - that works fine http://i.imgur.com/vuVR79U.png .

BTW, your .. mystifies me, since it is not any form of pathspec I recognise.

This is a trick to force Mp3tag to set the working folder to the current folder
(internally something seems to be odd when 'parsing the empty /fp parameter')
Check it out with CD command on the DOS prompt:
CD .
CD ..
CD ........
It is just jumping on the spot.

DD.20140903.1555.CEST

Ah. Well found!

I'd rather not be using something that might break when "fixed". But the safer-looking since dot doesn't work. http://i.imgur.com/MYyVRtz.png

Please store pictures into this forum, not elsewhere in the world.
This guarantees an everlasting binding to your message text.

DD.20140904.1124.CEST

I take you mean using the attachment manager, not the Image button?

I don't believe that gives any guarantee, nor that this forum's life expectancy exceed that of Imgur.

Also, it rarely shows images in the message full-size.