Show linebreaks in multi-line tag values

Currently the single-line controls (tracklist, tag panel, extended tags dialog) that display tags omit the linebreaks of multi-line values. It would be nice if they instead showed a placeholder e.g. the paragraph mark character.

PS It is great that these controls preserve the invisible linebreaks on editing - thanks!

[EDIT] Note: character edits preserve, buyt Paste multi-line values does not.

Squares in the field tag using plugins www.discogs.com

Just to add this:
The linebreaks are not always invisible, depending on some system font configuration (or whatever it is) they show as square symbols.

Aha, thanks. This machine that shows no breaks is a regular Win XP SP2 English. I see no option to change the system font.

All of the machines I have used mp3tag on (XP SP2 English) have always displayed the square symbol for tabs, line breaks etc. not just in mp3tag but other windows apps as well.

All of the machines I have used mp3tag on (XP SP2 English) have
always displayed the square symbol for tabs, line breaks etc.

Coo... any idea how I can get that?

not just in mp3tag but other windows apps as well.

I'm happy that here other apps generally display tab as tab and linebreak as linebreak! :wink:

By the way, here Mp3tag file list displays tab as tab... in F2 edit mode and CTRL+Q.

A second machine here fails too.

Just to check, are you seeing linebreak boxes here

where I've ringed them missing?

yes I definitely get one square for tab and two squares for line break where you ringed. I don't know why you don't.

Thanks, Oblio.

If anyone can suggest a fix, I'd be grateful. Esp. since recently I found tags had tracklist-invisibly aquired thousands of unwelcome trainling linebreaks from a sloppy Import Textfile script, and I'd love to know this could not recurr.

By the way, can anyone suggest an Action to remove trailing linebreaks? I can find no way of specifying that code seuwnce.

(In the case of the desired values being one-line, a workaround is to in the tracklist manually cut and paste all the tags... relying on the fact that currently tracklist paste truncates from and including the first linebreak.)

You can use "Replace with regular expression" where \r\n is a windows linebreak.

im having a similar problem, but i see the boxes

see as far as i can tell, seeing them or not really makes no difference as when saves it doesn't translate to an actual line break.

when i put a multiple line comment into an mp3 via winamp and then check that tag via mp3tag i see the blocks. and in winamp of course i still see it fine with 2 lines. now if i save it with mp3tag (without changing anything just saving what it has opened) you will lose those line breaks, even if you see the ascii blocks.

so what gives? =| seems the comment field should be more than one line by default for editing purposes. and if not it should certainly respect the ascii linebreaks.

this is mp3tag 2.39 on XP SP2

I think you are right ten80p

it seems that mp3tag is now only writing 0A for a line break instead of 0D0A. Probably a bug but not related to the original issue of squares not showing at all.

Thanks, Dano.

Florian, may I suggest Mp3tag\help\main_scripting.html Characters with special functionality be updated accordingly? Thanks.