Some feature requests about case in tag fields and such

I use Mp3tag to edit the contents of the 'cuesheet' APEv2 tag field on my WavPack images, and i really love that Mp3tag dosen't change the case of the tag fields in the images during tag updates. Also, i'm very happy about Mp3tag's '_FIELDNAME' Case conversion action type, as it's something that not many apps will let you touch with.

I would really love if you would please consider adding an option for showing the tag fields in the extended tags dialog with the case type they actually have, instead of just in all upper case. I can use your app to practically do everything tag related, but one thing i can't currently do, is to see with what case type the tag fields are actually stored with in the files and hence, other apps needs to be used to do that little thing unfortunetly(i use 'wvunpack.exe -ss *.wv').

Also i would very much like if the new tag fields that we define to be available in the tag panel could be adjusted in size, and also if we could select to remove some of the standard tag fields from the panel also. What i mean about changing the size of the new tag fields, is that i would like to add a field called 'cuesheet' and since that field is big and filled with many lines of text, then the small standard box is very avkward to have to deal with in that case. I know that i can perfectly use the extended tags dialog to do this job instead, but it would just be nicer and quicker if i could have a big box(like the size of the album art box) in the tag panel for editing the contents of the 'cuesheet' tag field directly on files, without needing to go into the extended tags dialog.

Finally, then even though the '_FIELDNAME' Case conversion action type is very nice, then i would actually very much also like an option which defines with what case type tag fields should be set with from the extended tags dialog also, instead of having to add a field and then afterwards having to run the action type to fix the case type to match all the other tag fields. However, i can still perfectly live with doing that, but i just though that i would ask for this nonetheless... :slight_smile:

Thank's in advance.

Martin.

i would very much like if the new tag fields that we define to
be available in the tag panel could be adjusted in size

Me also, and for the existing tags too e.g. Comment, which could then show its multi-line content truly.

But unless multi-line drop-down boxes are possible, it would preumably have to have the reduced control functionality of the album art field.

i would actually very much also like an option which defines with what case type
tag fields should be set with from the extended tags dialog also, instead of having
to add a field and then afterwards having to run the action type to fix the case type

The tag panel and track list users would feel left out! :wink:

Yeah sorry, mate - of course it would be best to have such an option to define the case type used everywhere :slight_smile: (Of course for e.g. ID3v2, then it would only affect the description in the 'TXXX' fields...)

@Florian

Another argument for adding an option which would show the tag fields with their exact case type used in the extended tags dialog, is that you allready have the '_FIELDNAME' case conversion action type in your program and IMHO then such an action type dosen't make much sence if you cannot even see what case type is currently used...

Maybe if you don't want to bloat the preferences dialog with such an option(s), then you could maybe make a command-line argument for 'mp3tag.exe', whitch would enable this functionality, but of course i understand that it's your app and your decision entirely :slight_smile:

IMHO then such an action type dosen't make much sence if you cannot even
see what case type is currently used...

Note: You can see... on MP3, WMA and FLAC.

No, the extended tags dialog always shows tag fields in all upper case no matter what case they really have and it's the same for all formats. I have just retested also with FLAC and MP3(for MP3 then case is only an issue with TXXX frame descriptions) to make sure...

Soory, my error - I misread your report.

please consider adding an option for showing the tag fields in the extended tags dialog with the
case type they actually have, instead of just in all upper case.

OOI, why do you suggest this be an option, rather than standard behaviour?

i would actually very much also like an option which defines with what case
type tag fields should be set with from the extended tags dialog also,

IIRC there was previously a casing option that prevailed over tags as they were edited, but it was removed a while back. Perhaps the resultant mixed casing was trouble.

Because obviously Florian is of another openion since it isn't that way allready and then i was just hoping for that he would be so kind as to make a seperate option for enabling this functionality. Of course i understand the idea behind normalizing all tag fields to have the same case-type, since it's just meant to be cleaner to look at if there are mixed case-types and to always show the same fields with the same case-type no matter which tagging format used, but however, to me it is much more important to be able to see what case-type the tags are using in the files, than it is to have alittle more cleaner looking appearance... Btw, i would also love to have an option for being able to see the exact tag fields used instead of just some remapped field names... I can see that for newbies then the current approach is the best, but for more advanced users, then i think that it would be very nice to have such extra advanced options available...

Ahh, yes - i can see from the changelog of v2.36 : [2006-02-26] CHG: removed option 'Case settings of tag item keys'.

I'm really sad about this desicion i must admit and i cannot see why it should have been a problem in any way, but of course it's Florians right to do whatever he wants with his own app :slight_smile:

Displaying true case type would have to handle the case of mixed values due to multiple selection.

i would also love to have an option for being able to see the
exact tag fields used instead of just some remapped field names...

Me too. Meanwhile the Help http://www.help.mp3tag.de/en/main_tags.html gives exact tags for two formats and it could presumably cover all of them.

I can see that for newbies then the current approach is the best,

I see the advantage for intermediate users - of multiple formats - but actually for newbies using a single format the format-generic field names are a real handicap. E.g. the WMA user looking to Filter by Album Artist is never going to guess to select BAND.

I'm really sad about this desicion i must admit and i cannot see
why it should have been a problem in any way,

No doubt an expert will be along to tell us RSN! :wink:

I think it was motivated by an internal design issue. I'll have a look at this again...

Thank you very much Florian for replying to me - it's very much appreciated :slight_smile:

@Florian

I would appreciate if you would please be so kind as to tell me what you think(i.e. a simple "yes", "maybe" or a "not going to happen") about my first feature request, which where about showing the tag fields in the extended tags dialog with the case type they actually have ? As i said previously, then adding such an option would IMHO blend in nicely with the '_FIELDNAME' case-conversion action type...

Btw, before writing this post, then i re-checked the 'planned' and 'not-planned' section of the pinned Roadmap thread... (and also i apologize for previously having suggested the possibility of adding such functionality through command-line arguments...)