Some Tag Fields not recognized

When inquiring on a mp3's detail properties, there is text in Mood and Group Description fields. They don't show up in current Mp3Tag v2.90a. I can't blank them in mp3tag but can blank them manually in detail properties. I'm using Windows 10 64bit.

Try adding something in these fields via properties and see if they show up in Mp3Tag. I have Grouping and Mood fields displaying in Mp3Tag.

Where don't they show up?
Have you tried the extended tags dialogue (alt-T)?
Did you add the corresponding columns in the file list?
Have you added display fields in the tag-panel?
See the help on supported fields:
http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html

Where don't they show up? In Mp3Tag display fields on left pane

Have you tried the extended tags dialogue (alt-T)? Learn something new with alt-T but MOOD and GROUPING Fields are not in dialogue.

Did you add the corresponding columns in the file list? No

Have you added display fields in the tag-panel? yes and they are blank but Windows properties (Details tab) shows it has text in them (Content section).

What happens if you add that information with MP3tag? Does it show elsewhere? Is it persistent if you re-read that file with MP3tag?

(I assume that these are mp4 files. And for mp4 files, e.g. the rating does not show in MP3tag either but it also does not show in other programs.
So it could be that Windows saves modifications to tags somewhere else but not in the files.
That is why it would be interesting to see if data from MP3tag is recognized by the windows explorer.)
And another test: does this information show up in Foobar?

What happens if you add that information with MP3tag? I added "Test" to both fields. Closed Mp3Tag. No changes in Windows Details. Re-opening Mp3Tag and both fields still show "Test"

Does it show elsewhere? I don't think so

Is it persistent if you re-read that file with MP3tag? Yes

(I assume that these are mp4 files. And for mp4 files, e.g. the rating does not show in MP3tag either but it also does not show in other programs. It's an mp3 file.

And another test: does this information show up in Foobar? I downloaded foobar2000. I can't see MOOD or GROUPING field to add to columns. Am I doing this right?

Windows Explorer stores the "Group Description" in the ID3v2 TIT1 frame, which should show at Alt+T as CONTENTGROUP. However, the mood information is stored as a PRIV frame (meaning private data that is not following any standard) and which is currently not supported by Mp3tag (the ID3v2.4 TMOO frame is).

Windows Explorer stores the "Group Description" in the ID3v2 TIT1 frame, which should show at Alt+T as CONTENTGROUP. Ok that solves that field. I was successful on blanking that field. I don't really need that CONTENTGROUP but was trying to create an action to blank out specific fields. I was just using the wrong tag.

However, the mood information is stored as a PRIV frame (meaning private data that is not following any standard) and which is currently not supported by Mp3tag (the ID3v2.4 TMOO frame is). I saw that in the mp3tag field chart. I didn't know PRIV was short for Private. Anyway, Windows does recognize that field and I'll have to manually remove it through Windows details field. Time consuming when working with alot of mp3s but it works.

Thanks for your assist!

I think I read somewhere that when you cut tags with MP3tag and paste them back again, then only the supported ones are pasted back.
I do not know if this also applies to PRIV frames.
Perhaps you could try that. Might speed up the job if it works.

What I did in a folder of mp3s was select all, right-click for Properties, selected MOOD field (Details tab), and entered one blank space.

This will not really remove the PRIV frame.
There is an action "Remove fields except" where you can enter the fields that you want to keep.
All other fields, even the not supported ones will be removed. So that would get rid of the PRIV frame and lead to a cleaner tag.

mapping

I was just playing around in Mp3tag's Mpeg section. I had ID3v2.3 UTF-16 selected and I've never changed anything in here before as far as I know. Anyway, when selecting ID3v2.4 UTF-8 and saving mp3, my text in mood field has been blanked out in Windows Details property. hmmm

Until a couple of versions ago, Windows could not read ID3V2.4 tags. So I would not use them for best compatibility.
Also, it shows, as the tag is newly written (different tag version), that not supported fields are removed by MP3tag.

So much speculation, so little verification.

Trying this and looking at the file in a hex editor shows that the PRIV frame is removed that way.

That's not correct. Only fields that are visible in Mp3tag (including cover art) are affected by this. As you've pointed out above, cutting and pasting the tag removes unsupported fields.

That's also not what I'm observing (and implemented): the PRIV frame is preserved but Windows can't read it anymore for reasons unknown to me.

So a little verification:
OK, this may be the case for the Windows Explorer.
Adding a field in MP3tag with nothing but a space character as contents creates that field. And it stays there.
If anyone should attempt to remove fields with MP3tag by replacing the contents with a space character he will not succeed.

Correct and unrelated to what was described here:

Is this relevant?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/medfound/metadata-properties-for-media-files
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/properties/props-system-music-mood